• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife Dragging Her Feet on Divorce ... where do I go from here

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PAGUY777

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

After being separated since 2007 my wife and I agreed to divorce. To save on costs we decided to file ourselves using a kit from one of the mainstream do-it-yourself divorce sites.

I filed all the appropriate documents in may, she signed the required initial docs too. We agreed that after 90 days we woud execute the settlement agreement and other related documents so that we could move quickly and get on with our lives.

Problem is, that she moved out of state shortly after we filed and has been dragging her feet on signing off on the remaining documents. We originally filed and agreed to an uncontested divorce but as it's pushing six months and she just keeps coming up with excuse after excuse on why she can't sign off.

We agreed to seek the assistance of an separate attorneys to review the final documents for accuracy, but she is dragging her feet on that part. She claims she wants to move forward quickly but it will be 6 months of excuses as of next week.

Do I need to get an attorney and just start from scratch here or what? I feel like my life is being held hostage. Especially since we had agreed to all of our property and financial settlement terms months ago.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Last edited:

karaann07

My ex husband did the same thing. I had my attorney threaten to enter a default judgement (or something like that- not sure what the legal name of the request was) to the judge and he was magically able to cooperate! Tah dah! I'd say ask an attorney if you can pay him a small retainer ($100) to write a quick note on letterhead (maybe you can draft something up quickly for him to go off of) saying that if the decree is not signed by X date, a request for default judgement for the plaintiff will be entered. Good luck and happy divorce! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">