• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Punitive Damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VSPeck1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

If a person is sued for punitive damages and I have no resources with which to pay these damages, what happens?

racer72

A judgment is good for 20 years so the judgment holder can take there time till you do have the funds.

ecmst12

That's only if the judgement is AWARDED for punitive damages, which is rare. But if they are awarded, it's supposed to suck for you - that's why it's a punishment.

VSPeck1

Punitive damages

That's only if the judgement is AWARDED for punitive damages, which is rare. But if they are awarded, it's supposed to suck for you - that's why it's a punishment.
What kind of situation generally warrants punitive damages? If no one was seriously injured (by that I mean no one admitted to the hospital with injuries) do the courts generally award punitive damages?

justalayman

punitive damages are generally not awarded unless the courts see intentional acts that cause damages. Do not confuse punitive damages with general damages such as pain and suffering. Punitive damages are awarded to specifically punish egregious acts.

VSPeck1

punitive damages are generally not awarded unless the courts see intentional acts that cause damages. Do not confuse punitive damages with general damages such as pain and suffering. Punitive damages are awarded to specifically punish egregious acts.
So an insurance company will cover "general damages" but not punitive? The insurance company has offered to settle with the other party but they are asking for punitive damages. The insurance company said they do not cover punitive damages.

justalayman

what is the situation?

insurance companies often do not cover intentional acts. If this involves an intentional act, I'm surprised they are offering to cover anything.

ecmst12

Insurance CAN'T cover punitive damages, if they did it wouldn't be punishment.

Now, want to tell us what happened?

VSPeck1

Insurance CAN'T cover punitive damages, if they did it wouldn't be punishment.

Now, want to tell us what happened?
My grandson was in a wreck almost two years ago. He was impaired and got arrested. No one seemed to be hurt very bad in the accident but the people he hit did go to the ER. After more than a year he got word they were suing him. The insurance company had attorney's that contacted him and got depositions. My grandson tells me that the attorney's for the insurance company told him that they had offered a settlement but she wouldn't settle and was suing for punitive damages. The insurance company told him he might have to hire his own private attorney. That is all I know.

tranquility

Without the facts, there is no issue. If a theoretical opinion on punitive damages is appropriate, there are a lot of resources on-line. If different, provide the facts.

VSPeck1

Without the facts, there is no issue. If a theoretical opinion on punitive damages is appropriate, there are a lot of resources on-line. If different, provide the facts.
Those are the only "facts" I know. Fact 1. He was in a wreck while driving impaired and hit another car. He was arrested, fined, and is on probation. Fact 2. The occupants of the other vehicle were apparently not seriously injured as no one was hospitalized. Fact 3. They are suing for punitive damages and would not settle with the insurance company for general damages only.

ecmst12

Most likely it will settle out of court and punitive damages will be dropped. Just a DUI usually isn't enough for them to be awarded anyway.

ecmst12

No, there is no SOL for a judgement. You are getting your terms mixed up. The SOL his how long you have to file a lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">