• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement/Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I am filing for divorce and need help with the question of settlement and alimony. My spouse has agreed to support me for 6 months and we included that in the settlement agreement. I checked the box on the complaint for alimony which states I am financially dependent on him and need the court to order him to pay alimony. My spouse thinks I am asking for additional money.

Should I not check that I need alimony ? because I need alimony but the amount is in the settlement agreement.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I am filing for divorce and need help with the question of settlement and alimony. My spouse has agreed to support me for 6 months and we included that in the settlement agreement. I checked the box on the complaint for alimony which states I am financially dependent on him and need the court to order him to pay alimony. My spouse thinks I am asking for additional money.

Should I not check that I need alimony ? because I need alimony but the amount is in the settlement agreement.
If you are attaching the stipulated agreement to the petition, then its appropriate that you check the alimony box. The agreement outlines the terms of the alimony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">