• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help! Speeding and Reckless driving.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dare738

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Hi, I recent got a speeding ticket and a reckless driving ticket. I was in the left lane going the speed limit and this white car speed up next to me, I tried to make a turn to merge into the right lane so he can have the left lane but the white car revved his engine and sped up so I hit the gas to make the turn into right lane, then a cop car flashed his lights so I panicked and slowed down to put over on the right side of the road from the lane lane and I ended up clipping a car coming up on my blind spot. The damage was light. The sheriff wrote that I was going 90 in a 55 zone but he didn't clock me going at that speed. I had a radar detector in my car and it only went off a while back when I was going the speed limit, when I got pulled over it didn't go off at all. He told me that I had to wait for the highway patrol to come. After 10 to 15 mins 2 highway patrol cars came and one patrol officer told me to go into another patrol officer's asked me to go in his car and that patrol officer gave me a ticket for reckless driving only because I hit another car while pulling over he said. I'm in the military and I don't know what to do, I was just trying to make it home to nyc. My car is registered in NC but my license is from New York. Please help!

Can I use a Prayer for Judgement and if I show a letter from my insurance company stating that they have assumed financial responsibility for the accident would that help? This is my first offense.

FlyingRon

The fact that your radar detector didn't go off is immaterial to your speeding charge. How do you know he "didn't clock you at that speed." If he was already behind you when you had your panic attack, he may have simply paced you, or he may have used his "expert" training to judge your speed.

I'll give you a hint, in almost all situations when confronted with a situation on the highway and you are already doing the speed limit, the answer is to smoothly slow down. This works for people trying to merge into your lane, pass you, tailgaters, etc...

Since you're from out of state, I'd recommend getting a local attorney to negotiate the PJC or other charge reduction. It's likely to safe you some time (and perhaps money) in the long run.

dare738

My license is an out of state license but im stationed in north carolina and my car is register in north carolina

FlyingRon

Unless you're in the military, get that license taken care of.

My advice stands, it still might behoove you to have a lawyer help you in this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">