• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slow lawyer action and due dates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alicia20

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I retained a lawyer to help me with my divorce since my spouse had obtained one. Currently, I have been waiting for two weeks to hear if my lawyer has even spoken to the spouse’s lawyer. Last Monday he emailed me saying that he was busy and did not have time to call but would call him the next day and update me as to what terms of the divorce could be agreed to. I never heard back and have emailed and called resulting in no response at all.

On this coming Tuesday, I have a previous scheduled date (been waiting 6 weeks) with the courts self-help folks to finish my judgment for submittal. I have emailed the attorney about subbing him out (self-help will not help if you have an attorney) to ensure that my judgment and papers to make the property my sole are submitted, I have not heard a response yet.

Can I sub my attorney out without his authorization is my first question?

Do I wait for a response for the lawyer before taking action or proceed with doing it myself?

How long do I wait before reporting to the State Bar if I cannot get his attention?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">