• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

posessions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scoutdw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vermont.
He has 30 days to get his things out of my barn. Are they mine if he does not?

karaann07

Ha ha ha. Who says he has 30 days to get his stuff out? Is this a written legal agreement? A verbal agreement? If it hasn't gone through court, I would advise sending a certified letter, return receipt requested so you can prove he got it. When he doesn't show up after 30 days of receiving the letter, have a barn sale! Or a bonfire, whichever you choose!

Mass_Shyster

Ha ha ha. Who says he has 30 days to get his stuff out? Is this a written legal agreement? A verbal agreement? If it hasn't gone through court, I would advise sending a certified letter, return receipt requested so you can prove he got it. When he doesn't show up after 30 days of receiving the letter, have a barn sale! Or a bonfire, whichever you choose!
If you follow this advice, you had better have a bank account large enough to pay for the damages to the property you sold or destroyed.

mistoffolees

If you follow this advice, you had better have a bank account large enough to pay for the damages to the property you sold or destroyed.
Exactly. It's very dangerous simply disposing of someone else's property.

First step is to review the court order to make sure it's being followed.

After that, I would consult an attorney because there are two conflicting methods of dealing with it:

1. Treat it as contempt of court and go back to court for contempt

2. Treat it as an eviction and follow the required procedures for eviction in that state.

The choice of those two will depend on the wording of the divorce decree as well as state case law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">