• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Turn informant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WorriedFather18

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

My child, 18, was caught with marijuana. Less than on ounce. The officer stated there would be no charges filed if the officer was shown the location of the dealer. He also asked about several other people. My child was promised no one will know but I am worried. I do not expect zero penalties but I am not sure if we should trust the law enforcement officer. My fear is the officer will keep using my child for info and eventually create a dangerous situation. Am I paranoid and should we consult an attorney or trust this at face value?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

bobbydigital339

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

My child, 18, was caught with marijuana. Less than on ounce. The officer stated there would be no charges filed if the officer was shown the location of the dealer. He also asked about several other people. My child was promised no one will know but I am worried. I do not expect zero penalties but I am not sure if we should trust the law enforcement officer. My fear is the officer will keep using my child for info and eventually create a dangerous situation. Am I paranoid and should we consult an attorney or trust this at face value?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I personally wouldnt help the cops. I was arrested for selling marijuana. I sold marijuana to an informant and it was hard to fiqure out who it was. When I got the discovery it pretty much tells who the informant is....

cyjeff

Get your son an attorney.

Two really important things to remember here....

One, the officers have zero authority over what your son is charged with. They can and do make recommendations to the DA, but it is the DA's call. This would not be the first time that officers made a promise they couldn't keep.

Two, anything you son does or says can be used against him in a court of law. This means that any and all conversations with the cops should be conducted with an attorney present.

Also, the attorney will be able to vet any deal offered as to validity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">