• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Status Hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

narrow27

I have a question I have a status hearing coming up for a Personal Injury case. I have made multiple attempts to fire my lawyer & he has stated that he has filled a motion to withdraw & put a lien of my case for attorney fees. He will not respond via phone or email to my requests, I plan on going to the state bar when it is all settled to file a complaint. Also the insurance company will be at this hearing as well. Long story short I want mediation and not have to go to court. My lawyer doesn't want to go to court and accept the first low offer, and is intimidated by the insurance company lawyers.

At this status hearing can I bring a lawyer that will help advise me or am I on my own until the judge rules on the motion to withdraw. I'm assuming I can not retain another attorney to handle my case until this hearing is completed.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have a question I have a status hearing coming up for a Personal Injury case. I have made multiple attempts to fire my lawyer & he has stated that he has filled a motion to withdraw & put a lien of my case for attorney fees. He will not respond via phone or email to my requests, I plan on going to the state bar when it is all settled to file a complaint. Also the insurance company will be at this hearing as well. Long story short I want mediation and not have to go to court. My lawyer doesn't want to go to court and accept the first low offer, and is intimidated by the insurance company lawyers.

At this status hearing can I bring a lawyer that will help advise me or am I on my own until the judge rules on the motion to withdraw. I'm assuming I can not retain another attorney to handle my case until this hearing is completed.
Are you sure the motion has not been granted? You have fired your attorney. You can retain other counsel. Your attorney has a right to put a lien on your case for his attorney fees.

narrow27

I'm fine with the lien as long as the amount is fair, that's one other thing that I don't have the amount of. The last time he responded he said the motion to withdraw would be handled at the status hearing. That is why I'm unsure about hiring another attorney. I've only had three contacts with my attorney in 2 years all of which were by phone and never had a disagreement. I really made the mistake by believing the person who recommend his firm and not doing research. This is in a small southern town were a my suit is against a large company that's headquartered there. I was a passenger in a vehicle that struck by a company vehicle that was as fault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">