• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My friend made a mistake - what should he do now??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adviceseeker47

How to retract a statement - My friend made a mistake - what should he do now??

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

My friend stated, "I saw the homeowner push the officer", after he waived (signed) his miranda rights. This was recorded by the police officers. He told me he felt compelled to tell the officers what they wanted to hear at the time, under the circumstances.

The police arrested the homeowner and are likely to prosecute.
My friend is concerned because his statement is inaccurate.

My question is, what should my friend do now???
Should he hire a lawyer to recant/revise his statement and protect him (and the truth) as a potential witness?

Thank you!

Last edited:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

My friend stated, "I saw the homeowner push the officer", after he waived (signed) his miranda rights. This was recorded by the police officers. I'm not sure why he said this. He said he felt compelled to tell the officers what they wanted to hear at the time, under the circumstances.

The truth is he could not see anything. He was on the ground, face down, as the officer ordered. The homeowner and the officer were behind him.

The police arrested the homeowner and are likely to prosecute.

My question is, what should my friend do now???

Thank you!!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
How do you know what he could see? First he says he say this & now you say he did not. His statement to the police will not get him into trouble.

adviceseeker47

My friend is very upset about this. He told me that he thought about the events and what he had said, he remembered that he could not see anythng. He is concerned that his statement was inaccurate.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My friend is very upset about this. He told me that he thought about the events and what he had said, he remembered that he could not see anythng. He is concerned that his statement was inaccurate.
Witness tampering/intimidation is a serious crime. I would suggest that you not discuss this with your neighbor.

If YOU are the "friend", then I would suggest that you tell the truth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">