• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving with suspended registration w/o knowledge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nyrhonr88

New York state

I was pulled over the other day and charged with driving with a suspended registration. The car I was driving is, for all intents and purposes, my car, but it's under my dad's registration. A few months ago my parents filed for divorce. Therefore my dad had to switch bank accounts, we moved, etc. My dad was forced to pay a title transfer fee which the DMV never received (presumably lost in the mail, twice). Because of the address change (which my dad never notified the DMV of) they couldn't contact him. So, they suspend HIS license and HIS registrations. They, however, couldn't notify my dad of this. I'm driving under my dad's registration, so I'm unknowingly driving on a suspended registration.

The cop subsequently had my car towed, and I was ticketed. What should I do about this? It is so complicated. Where they right to tow the car?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

The Occultist

As the operator of the vehicle, you are responsible for ensuring that the vehicle meets are legal standards (including proper registration) before operating it. You deserve whatever ticket you got (maybe you can get Daddy to pay for it?), and the officer was within his right to have the unlawful vehicle towed.

How to handle it? Well, for starters, get the vehicle up to code. If all that's missing is registration, then get it fixed. Like, yesterday (though I suppose today can suffice given no alternative). Once everything is right-as-rain again, bring PROOF of it to court with you, and beg for the mercy of the court. Share your sob story with the judge, show that the vehicle's registration is good, and hope that your pleas fall on a sympathetic ear. Do note that the court owes you nothing, but it is possible that the court may show you some form of leniency, most likely in the form of a reduction in fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">