• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Intoxication Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pikeman85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

So, I moved back to Michigan a few months ago after living in Arizona for a year. I went out with some friends in my old college town and had a few (3 or 4) drinks. I had the very bright idea to mix this with a milk shake.

Suffice to say, later on in the evening, I got sick and threw up (I was feeling sick before I left, I only decided to go because it was labor day weekend).

By this time my friend had left me, and I didn't know where his new place was, so I decided to take a nap in my car for a few hours, as I was feeling sick still and I wasn't able to drive. I left the door a little open because I was still feeling sick, and I didn't want to turn my car on to roll the window down, because that would be operating it, and while I wasn't drunk, I had had a couple drinks.

I was woken up by the police about 2 or 3 hours later, with them having two police cars and an ambulance, and saying I was non-responsive (they weren't near me). I foggily wake up, and they (two different officers), ask me where I am and where I live at the same time. I answer one of them, and the other one says "He thinks he's in Plymouth", when I said where I lived. I was in another town called Ypsilanti.

Anyway, they ask me to take a breathalyzer, I tell them I do not consent, after asking if there is any penalty

They tell me I have to go to the hospital, I tell them I don't consent to that. They tell me I have no choice. I get on the guerney. They mention that the police have to decide whether or not they're going to impound my car. I ask them why, I am parked legally. They ask me where my keys are, I tell them I don't know. I believe they search my car - I tell them, once again, I don't consent.

They put me into the ambulance, and the cop who wanted to give me the breathalyzer hands me a ticket and says "You should have taken the breathalyzer test" which I can only interpret as sarcastic or mean. It was for public intoxication.

The ambulance wanted to give me a blood sugar test, I tell them I do not consent. They tell me I have no choice. I allow them to do it, after assuring them that I do not consent.

I go to the hospital, I tell them I don't consent to being admitted to the hospital, they ask for my name, and I refuse to give it. I believe the cops gave it to the hospital. At this point I was EXTREMELY cold. I had been since I woke up. I was given four or five blankets, and hot water, and then hot tea. I was taken into a room, and waited for a doctor or some other medical professional.

They talk to me for five minutes, tell me I'm clearly just tired, and tell me that I should get a ride, just so they don't have to conduct any tests, like BAC. I call a family member to pick me up, and was released (to my own custody), about an hour and ten minutes after the charge appears on my ticket.

Now, from what I can see, I wasn't publicly intoxicated - the law specifically says I have to be a danger to others (not myself, even), and I don't feel I was necessarily even intoxicated. I was a bit foggy at first, but I was tired, and extremely cold, which causes you to be somewhat foggy. After perhaps 20-30 minutes at the hospital (after getting hot water and blankets), I was completely normal acting.

I wasn't rude to the police, I did what they asked, I merely let them know I didn't consent. I wasn't overly loud or belligerent. I wasn't angry at all (I very rarely get angry).

What are my chances of fighting this ticket? I have an arraignment next week and I have no prior criminal convictions (a few traffic tickets in the past), nor even any prior criminal charges. I'm a college graduate who is intending on going into a doctoral program. Am I in serious trouble? Can I fight this?

Pikeman85

I haven't been able to find that out. I called the court house and asked for the exact wording of the law to find out what I was charged with - they didn't even know the wording of the law. Asked me to call the PROSECUTOR (which I did) to ask what I was charged with.

Exact wording was something like under the influence of something, as well as, disorderly or causing a disturbance, or harming others (it specifically did not say anything about self), or impeding others.

I haven't a clue what I am being charged. I think the cop was pissed at me for refusing the breathalyzer test, saw out of state license and plates (I had just moved back) and figured he'd give me a ticket. I was also foggy and confused and he could easily argue that I looked or acted drunk, because I was disoriented, just waking up.

But the exact section? No clue. Not sure how to find that out.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Whether the state will file or not is something we cannot answer. However, frequently akk that is required is that the officer articulate the objective symptoms of alcohol impairment and the elements of the offense for which you are charged. Since you do not have the statute we cannot say what those are, but being passed out after consuming alcohol while in a car could constitute public intoxication in youtr state (it would in mine).

Consult legal counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">