• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Susanmly

Florida- I recently visited an animal sanctuary in Florida. This place is on private property, but is an IRS registered 501C3 non-profit organization. While touring this facility I was shocked to find the animals in very poor health, diseased and many near death. While I was there I snapped some pictures of the conditions. Upon leaving, I was threatened with legal action, If I told anyone or posted the pics anywhere. Is this legal? I can hardly believe that it would be. Can anyone advise?

BOR

Consult the local/state ASPCA for guideance.

Was there a "No photography permitted" sign or such at the entrance?

Even if there were, if a reasonably prudent person feels a law is being broken, that is cruelty to animals, any so called copyright issue of posting pics would take a back seat to an animal abuse charge.

FlyingRon

Absent some contractual agreement not to do so, you are free to talk about what you saw to anybody. While they can threaten legal action, there isn't really any legal basis to do so. Further, even if you did agree to not disclose, that wouldn't apply to talking to law enforcement or testifying in court.

BOR

No signs were posted anywhere.
I'd say it was just a coercive technique to stop you. Threats of lawsuits where no Cause of Action actually exist, sometimes scare a person into doing what they say.

Me personally, to save an animal, as I love them also, would be to tell them to get lost.

Your concern is genuine as to your belief you will be sued. Being sued even without cause is frightening, true.

If you contact the ASPCA they have the means to help you.

Thank you for being concerned about the animals.

Susanmly

I agree, I think they were just trying to scare me, but you can never be to sure.

Is anyone familiar with the Good ol' boy network, let's just say Animal control in this area won't do much about the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">