• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict of Interest Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunnie777

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi,

Hello,
After my husband of 3 years walked out and left me I consulted an attorney who had represented me in a divorce action over 20 years ago. She gave me some legal advice and then asked about my financial status. When I told her I thought we would be asking that he pay the attorney's fees, she said "you can't afford me." She suggested I contact legal aide services.

Yesterday, I was served with divorce papers from my husband and I saw that she is now representing him! Is this a conflict of interests? I discussed the entire matter with her several months ago and didn't proceed because she said "you can't afford me." I have been waiting for word from Legal Aide Service in Jackson, MS.

Thank you.

Mass_Shyster

From what you've described, it appears to be a violation of rule 1.9 of the MISSISSIPPI RULES OF PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT

RULE 1.9 CONFLICT OF INTEREST: FORMER CLIENT
A lawyer who has formerly represented a client in a matter shall not thereafter:
(a) represent another in the same or a substantially related matter in which that person's interests are materially adverse to the interests of the former client unless the former client consents after consultation;

latigo

It is a most flagrant and inexcusable breach of professional ethics!

In the morning call the Mississippi Bar Association. Someone there will assist you in filing a formal grievance against the shyster. And please do so and keep us posted!

We get enough black eyes in this business without wretches like this on the loose.

The Mississippi Bar
Post Office Box 2168
Jackson, Mississippi 39225-2168
Phone: 601-948-4471
Fax Number: 601-355-8635

cyjeff

That's just cold.

Yes, keep us updated. Look at the bright side... it appears your case may be her last case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">