• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding CVC 40805

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gart999

California Vehicle Code 40805 states:

40805. Every court shall be without jurisdiction to render a judgment of conviction against any person for a violation of this code involving the speed of a vehicle if the court admits any evidence or testimony secured in violation of, or which is inadmissible under this article.

From the DMV website they title this section "Admission of Speed Trap Evidence" however the section is called "California Vehicle Code Division 17 Offenses and Prosecution, Chapter 3. Illegal Evidence, Article 1. Prosecutions Under Code".

My question is, and I'll paraphrase it as I understand it;
Does 40805 say that if the evidence or testimony are secured/derived while the officer violated any section of the California Vehicle Code, then the evidence is inadmissible? Or if the police testimony is admitted, then the court shall not have authority/jurisdiction to render judgment against the accused speeder?

Is there any case law where this section was used in instances apart from just speed traps?

Thanks. :eek:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I_Got_Banned

California Vehicle Code 40805 states:

40805. Every court shall be without jurisdiction to render a judgment of conviction against any person for a violation of this code involving the speed of a vehicle if the court admits any evidence or testimony secured in violation of, or which is inadmissible under this article.

Is there any case law where this section was used in instances apart from just speed traps?
"... this article..." refers to "article 1" of "chapter 3" of "division 17" of the CA Vehicle Code which only includes sections 40800 through 40808... So it only applies to the few issues referenced in those sections (mainly speed traps).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">