• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Krazypoloc

I live in WI and 2 years ago I made a trip down to Indiana where my car broke down. I had to rent a car and ended up having to drive it back up to Green Bay where I lived at the time. Upon trying to return the car locally, the local office informed me that I would need to contact the location where I rented it from. I called their office and they couldn't find any record that the car existed, so they transferred me to the corporate office where I got the exact same thing. I was informed that I would be contacted in a day or two when they got the situation sorted out. They never called me back. So two weeks later I called the office where I rented the car and they again transferred me to the corporate office, who again said they would call me back in a few days. Here we are two years later and I still have the car and don't know what to do with it. As they will not claim responsibility for the vehicle is there any way that I can gain legal ownership of the vehicle?

Dave1952

Have you tried to locate the owner? Send the VIN to the Indiana DMV? They'll probably charge a fee for this. If you can not locate the owner there is a Dept. of Abandoned Vehicles to whom you should write about acquiring ownership and title. They mostly deal with towed vehicles so expect some confusion.

Good luck

Krazypoloc

Have you tried to locate the owner? Send the VIN to the Indiana DMV? They'll probably charge a fee for this. If you can not locate the owner there is a Dept. of Abandoned Vehicles to whom you should write about acquiring ownership and title. They mostly deal with towed vehicles so expect some confusion.

Good luck
Thanks Dave I will check into this. So I should file this claim in Wisconsin I'm assuming correct?

Dave1952

I'd do this in whatever State the car was licensed (Indiana?). They'll have a copy of the current Title. If the current owner fails to respond to the notice of abandonment then you can fill out the forms to get the Title in your name. You'll then need to get a Wisconsin Title, if that's where you live.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">