• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trustee (sibling) won't share trust info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

martycote

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island

Both parents are now deceased. Family home was sold while one parent was still alive; who passed last month. I have only one sibling, the trustee, who is very secretive and has not heeded my written request for a copy of the trust. I learned that in RI, the trustee does not have to provide a beneficiary with a copy. So far, two insurance claim forms have been sent to me for the last parent's insurance, one worth only $1000; I am contacting the other insurance on the value which wasn't stated on the form.
Having no experience with a trust, I wonder why the insurance claims money (from both parents) don't get put into the trust fund, along with the proceeds from the sale of the home, for distribution? There is a considerable amount of money at stake.
It seems there is no way to hold the trustee accountable for that which I have no knowledge of.
What recourse do I have?

anteater

I learned that in RI, the trustee does not have to provide a beneficiary with a copy.
I hope that you heard that from a knowledgeable source. I took a quick look at Rhode Island statutes and could not spot anything. That is quite unusual. But I don't think that any of the regular responders here is going to be familiar with RI law.

...I wonder why the insurance claims money (from both parents) don't get put into the trust fund...
Proceeds from life insurance policies are payable directly to the beneficiaries designated in the insurance contract.

curb1

The proceeds from the sale of the house could easily have been placed into a CD, money market or similar accounts outside of the trust. If "sibling" was on the account with the remaining parent, the money could have passed directly to "sibling" outside of the trust.

It sounds like your communication with "sibling" is not good. What efforts have you made for communication? What did your mother and father say about the trust when they were alive? What happened to the proceeds from the sale of the house?

martycote

copy of trust to beneficiary

I also could not easily find info at the RI Law Library, however, did read there in the Nolo book "The Trustee's Legal Companion" that in several states the trustee need not provide the trust to the beneficiary, and that included RI.
This was shocking; not even to be able to see the parts of the trust where I might be named!

martycote

proceeds of house sale

Communication with sibling is not the best as sibling is super dominating and controlling. I had visited my parent at sibling's house the week before, and that weekend sibling put her in hospice and did not notify me til 5 days had passed. Parent could have conceivably passed without my knowing.
Last parent was very ill at time of spouse's passing and they did not share any info on the trust with me and I reluctantly did not inquire.
For no apparent reason, the older sibling was always the favored one, however my parents and I were not estranged.
I went to city hall to look up the property and read "on the termination date (last parent's death) the trustee (sibling) shall distribute the Family Trust per stirpes. Does this mean the proceeds were put in the trust?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">