• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to go to court if I'm a witness?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dreamer111

Hello.

I used to have this friend (not a friend anymore) by the name Tony.
One day his landlord have cut his antenna wire. (in Tony's words). It's so happened that I was there the same day - but I haven't seen these events.

Tony wrote in police report that I was a witness...even though I wasn't!!!!
Now he is saying that he needs some sort of a paper from me describing these event - otherwise court will supina? me to appear.

I'm pissed because I have no idea what's going on... (don't make junkies your friends..).. and I'm a very busy person...

1) Do I have to appear in court? I live 1h:30m away from Hyannis, Ma (that's where events took place).

2) I just moved off Cape. Don't I have to be officially informed? What police will do if they don't have my address?

3) Can I really write something... like description of the event and email or mail it to court?

Thanks guys...

CdwJava

He probably wants a notarized statement or affidavit from you about the events. But, if this is a criminal matter, that will generally still require your appearance.

Your appearance can only be mandated if you are served with a subpoena. No subpoena, no legal obligation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">