• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless Driving Ticket in parking lot-Oklahoma?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

will77

I received a ticket for careless driving in a parking lot at the University of Oklahoma. I was involved in an accident when pulling out of the parking aisle onto the road leading to the parking lot exit. I was t boned by a car that was driving to the exit, I didn't see this car because my vision had been obscured by large trucks parked at the end of the parking aisle (I drive a Honda Civic). It also seemed to me at least that the other car was speeding since the other driver didn't apply their brakes or sound their horn (also my airbags deployed). The other driver also received a careless driving ticket. The police officer did not witness the accident he arrived at the scene a few minutes later. I also question the legality of issuing a city ticket for careless driving in a private parking lot. I went to court today and plead not guilty, and have a trial set for the middle or january. What is the best way to prove my case?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I received a ticket for careless driving in a parking lot at the University of Oklahoma. I was involved in an accident when pulling out of the parking aisle onto the road leading to the parking lot exit. I was t boned by a car that was driving to the exit, I didn't see this car because my vision had been obscured by large trucks parked at the end of the parking aisle (I drive a Honda Civic). It also seemed to me at least that the other car was speeding since the other driver didn't apply their brakes or sound their horn (also my airbags deployed). The other driver also received a careless driving ticket. The police officer did not witness the accident he arrived at the scene a few minutes later. I also question the legality of issuing a city ticket for careless driving in a private parking lot. I went to court today and plead not guilty, and have a trial set for the middle or january. What is the best way to prove my case?
What case? On the face of it, you were pulling from a side aisle on to the main "road" within the lot. Seems to me that YOU were at fault here.

What is the best way to prove my case?
You don't need to have a case, It's the prosecutor who needs to have a case. If there is no-one at your trial who witnessed what happened, it's very difficult to get a conviction. For all the court knows, your car might have broken down in the place where it was subsequently hit. However, you would need to get an attorney or be prepared to do a good impression of an attorney to get it thrown out on that basis, otherwise the court will walk all over you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">