• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce requires transfer of assets within 30 days, but ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in KY; my divorce was in VA where the ex lives.

My divorce was finalized in VA 31 days ago. The decree states that within 30 days of the divorce becoming finalized, he has to initiate the transfer of some funds to me (5 figures).

However, he emailed me a couple of weeks ago that he'll send me these funds when I pay him back for something different (the decree in a different place says that the person who didn't file will reimburse up to $1000 in legal fees, but doesn't give a timeframe; he actually wants me to pay the full $1000 even though it's more than half, before he'll release my funds).

My attorney here said "the one transfer has a timeframe; the other doesn't". My attorney also told me to not respond to his emails, to put nothing in writing if I don't want it in the hands of a judge, and to ignore his demand and just wait.

How would you enforce a specific clause in a divorce decree such as this, something with a specified time clause? What is the legal motion that would be used next? [I was supposed to talk to my attorney yesterday, the 30 day mark, but he was in court all day, plus we're in a different state, so I assume I'd need to do this in VA].

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in KY; my divorce was in VA where the ex lives.

My divorce was finalized in VA 31 days ago. The decree states that within 30 days of the divorce becoming finalized, he has to initiate the transfer of some funds to me (5 figures).

However, he emailed me a couple of weeks ago that he'll send me these funds when I pay him back for something different (the decree in a different place says that the person who didn't file will reimburse up to $1000 in legal fees, but doesn't give a timeframe; he actually wants me to pay the full $1000 even though it's more than half, before he'll release my funds).

My attorney here said "the one transfer has a timeframe; the other doesn't". My attorney also told me to not respond to his emails, to put nothing in writing if I don't want it in the hands of a judge, and to ignore his demand and just wait.

How would you enforce a specific clause in a divorce decree such as this, something with a specified time clause? What is the legal motion that would be used next? [I was supposed to talk to my attorney yesterday, the 30 day mark, but he was in court all day, plus we're in a different state, so I assume I'd need to do this in VA].
The legal motion you would use would be a show cause for contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">