• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a fugitive hire a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peano

Fictional scenario: An innocent man is convicted of murder. While being transported to prison he escapes. He now aims to find the real murderer and clear his name.

Question: Could he hire a lawyer to advise him? I'm guessing that he could not -- because he is a fugitive and lawyers are officers of the court. But I'm not sure.

Thanks.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Last edited:

Proserpina

While I'm in completely agreement (!) with latigo's post...

I can't help but answer this one myself.

Peano - your mission should actually be this:

Figure out why your guess is not quite right...

justalayman

they already made this into a television show and a movie. You might be too young to remember it. It is called "The Fugitive"

Try something new. There is to much rehashed crap on TV anymore.

Just Blue

https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/procedural-questions-about-evidence-535128.html

latigo

Perhaps YOU should explain why YOUR answer may also be incorrect... :)
If Model Rule 1.6 is followed, which is entirely conjectural, I would have to agree with WST that the duty of confidentiality overrides EXECEPTING unless the attorney reasonably believes disclosure is necessary to prevent the client from committing a violent criminal act.

And yet many states includng Califorinia have not adopted that exception. For example in Georgia:

“The ethical considerations and rules under Canon II, stated above, clearly show that in a situation in which a fugitive client refuses to surrender himself, and thus insists on an illegal course of conduct, the attorney should immediately withdraw from the case, taking the precautions he deems necessary to protect his client's interests.”

Dropping a dime on one's client would not seem to be in the client's best interests. At least not in Georgia where I understand fugatives abound. Some of which I hear are attorneys themselves.

Then of course this is all from the muddled musings of a moron.

If Model Rule 1.6 is followed, which is entirely conjectural, I would have to agree with WST that the duty of confidentiality overrides EXECEPTING unless the attorney reasonably believes disclosure is necessary to prevent the client from committing a violent criminal act.

And yet many states includng Califorinia have not adopted that exception. For example in Georgia:

“The ethical considerations and rules under Canon II, stated above, clearly show that in a situation in which a fugitive client refuses to surrender himself, and thus insists on an illegal course of conduct, the attorney should immediately withdraw from the case, taking the precautions he deems necessary to protect his client's interests.”

Dropping a dime on one's client would not seem to be in the client's best interests. At least not in Georgia where I understand fugatives abound. Some of which I hear are attorneys themselves.

Then of course this is all from the muddled musings of a moron.
I agree with ya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">