• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured Driver - Follow Up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I posted previously about an accident I was involved in which was the fault of the other driver who is apparently uninsured.

Recap: I was driving down a 2 lane "highway" (technically called a highway, but speed limit is 45 just outside town), when a woman pulled out of a driveway and damaged the side of my vehicle from bumper to bumper.

At the time, she claimed to not have proof of insurance in her vehicle, and as I know her and know where she works, I took down her personal information and called in the report to the sheriff's department. It is not necessary in my state, if both vehicles are drivable and there are no injuries, to call the police/sheriff to the scene.

Fast forward to now. I have made many attempts to contact the driver, as has the sheriff's department and my insurance company. I only have liability insurance on my vehicle, so I cannot get the vehicle repaired under my policy, however the insurance company offered to contact her anyway with the thinking she'd be more likely to respond to them than to me.

I discovered that by law in my state, if an accident occurs in which one of the drivers is uninsured and the damage to either vehicle is greater than $500, a report must be filed with the state. The state then investigates, and if it is found that one of the drivers in fact did not have insurance at the time of the accident, that driver's license is immediately suspended pending payment of the damages to the other vehicle (or the posting of a bond equal to a percentage of the damages, with the remainder paid within 12 months).

So, this is what I am considering, and I want to know if it would in any way be unethical or perhaps illegal (though I don't have any idea how it would be).

I have received an estimate for the damages to my vehicle, and as the damage involves both bumpers and every body panel on the passenger side of the vehicle (Tahoe) as well as the electric/heated sideview mirror, the estimate is in excess of $5000.00.

I am considering, prior to sending the report to the state, sending the report of the accident, the deputy's report, and the estimate to the woman that hit me. I would send this certified return receipt. I would also send a letter with this information and a copy of the statute that requires the report be filed. In that letter I would reiterate the fact that the state will suspend her license if it is determined that she is uninsured. I would then inform her that unless she provides her insurance information to me, or makes payment in full for the damages to my vehicle within 30 days of receipt, that I will have no choice but to send everything into the state and allow them to handle the issue going forward.

I have to file the report anyway, if she fails to provide me with insurance information, but if I informed the state that she had paid for damages, it's unlikely that her license would be suspended any longer than it would take her to procure current insurance on her vehicle.

Am I overthinking this way too much? Should I just send in the report and wait for the state to investigate/contact her?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I discovered that by law in my state, if an accident occurs in which one of the drivers is uninsured and the damage to either vehicle is greater than $500, a report must be filed with the state. The state then investigates, and if it is found that one of the drivers in fact did not have insurance at the time of the accident, that driver's license is immediately suspended pending payment of the damages to the other vehicle (or the posting of a bond equal to a percentage of the damages, with the remainder paid within 12 months).

So, this is what I am considering, and I want to know if it would in any way be unethical or perhaps illegal (though I don't have any idea how it would be).
Quite the opposite - it is a legal requirement.

I have received an estimate for the damages to my vehicle, and as the damage involves both bumpers and every body panel on the passenger side of the vehicle (Tahoe) as well as the electric/heated sideview mirror, the estimate is in excess of $5000.00.

I am considering, prior to sending the report to the state, sending the report of the accident, the deputy's report, and the estimate to the woman that hit me. I would send this certified return receipt. I would also send a letter with this information and a copy of the statute that requires the report be filed. In that letter I would reiterate the fact that the state will suspend her license if it is determined that she is uninsured. I would then inform her that unless she provides her insurance information to me, or makes payment in full for the damages to my vehicle within 30 days of receipt, that I will have no choice but to send everything into the state and allow them to handle the issue going forward.
Why bother? You are REQUIRED by state law to report this.

I have to file the report anyway, if she fails to provide me with insurance information, but if I informed the state that she had paid for damages, it's unlikely that her license would be suspended any longer than it would take her to procure current insurance on her vehicle.

Am I overthinking this way too much? Should I just send in the report and wait for the state to investigate/contact her?
File the report AND sue her in small claims court.

CJane

Quite the opposite - it is a legal requirement.
I wasn't asking if I should file the report with the state. I was asking if it would be considered... harassment, maybe... for me to send it all to HER first and give her the opportunity to either (finally) provide insurance info or make payment before her license is suspended.

Why bother? You are REQUIRED by state law to report this.
I'm required IF she's uninsured. I don't know FOR SURE that she is, only that she's so far refused to return phone calls to me or anyone else regarding the insurance. I'm wondering if she's uninsured or if she's hoping I'll give up on contacting her and then her rates won't go up due to an at fault accident.

I don't want to "waste" the state's resources in investigating this if she DOES have insurance and is just avoiding the issue. Though I suppose it probably doesn't take more than a few keystrokes for the state to figure out if she's insured.

Also... there's this:

Statutory references: Sections 303.030 and 303.042, RSMo.

If you are at fault for the accident and do not pay for the damages, your driver license and/or license plates will be suspended for one year. Your driver license and/or license plates can be reinstated within the one-year period provided you pay a $20 reinstatement fee and send proof to the Driver License Bureau that you have settled the accident loss.

Trying to figure out if I have a duty to make her aware of what the damages ARE prior to filing w/the state.

File the report AND sue her in small claims court.
This is well beyond the SCC threshold, I think.

Which brings me to another question, and I'm sorry that this is probably elementary stuff, but I've never had to deal with these issues before.

It's my understanding that when an insurance company is involved, if the $ amount of the damages is more than a certain % of the value of the vehicle, the vehicle is considered "totaled" and the insurance company pays the value of the vehicle. Is that right?

Anyone know how it works in a situation like this? The statute says she has to pay for the "damages" in order to get her license back. It doesn't indicate that there's a threshold of "Damages or value of the vehicle"... so, if the "book value" of my vehicle is $4500 and the damages are $6000... is she technically liable for the $6000 in damages?

justalayman

she has no duty to disclose her insurer to you if she doesn't want to. If she refuses, as she apparently has, your action would be to sue her for your damages. If she has an insurance company, I suspect she will then allow her insurance company to do what she paid for and represent her.

If she doesn't contact her insurance company, you will see her in court.

CJane

she has no duty to disclose her insurer to you if she doesn't want to. If she refuses, as she apparently has, your action would be to sue her for your damages. If she has an insurance company, I suspect she will then allow her insurance company to do what she paid for and represent her.
Ok, but that's not what I'm asking.

I'm not stomping my feet and being ticked because she won't give me the info.

I'm asking if I have a duty to make her aware of the damages (via providing a copy of the estimate) along with a reasonable period of time to "make good" on said damages prior to filing the report with the state.

I ask because it says "If you are at fault... and do not pay the damages...

I'm not worried, at this point, about suing her. If I have to, I will. Though it sounds as though once I file the report with the state (which will also include the estimate, as required) she'll have to pay for the damages in order to have her license reinstated before a year passes. (Am I reading that right?)

justalayman

I'm asking if I have a duty to make her aware of the damages (via providing a copy of the estimate) along with a reasonable period of time to "make good" on said damages prior to filing the report with the state.

nope. You could have filed suit the day after the accident without ever notifying her if you wanted.
Obviously, it is almost always better to at least send them a demand letter. If that incites them into action, then great. It would be a lot cheaper and easier of you could get them to pay without going to court.

no, sending her a copy of the law that says the incident must be reported if she didn't have insurance and the damages were over some specific amount would not be harassing nor threatening. Just include it and say nothing about it.

CourtClerk

Send in the report and don't have anymore conversation with her, written or otherwise. She's not going to respond, so stop chasing your tail.

Also... you're not going to get $6000 in damages for a vehicle worth $4500. At least here in my state, people tend to really respond once their licenses are suspended.

Mass_Shyster

You proposed plan could be considered blackmail: "Extortion of money or something else of value from a person by the threat of exposing a criminal act or discreditable information."

You have no duty to inform the other driver of the consequences of her actions.

Zigner

You proposed plan could be considered blackmail: "Extortion of money or something else of value from a person by the threat of exposing a criminal act or discreditable information."

You have no duty to inform the other driver of the consequences of her actions.
This would NOT be considered blackmail. The first word of your definition assures that. Our OP would not be extorting anything...that's why it's not blackmail ;)

Mass_Shyster

This would NOT be considered blackmail. The first word of your definition assures that. Our OP would not be extorting anything...that's why it's not blackmail ;)
I didn't say it is blackmail. I said it could be considered blackmail. There's a difference.

Mass_Shyster

OP is considering sending in an estimate for damages that exceeds the value of the vehicle, along with a copy of the statute, in a veiled threat that if the estimate for damages isn't paid, the complaint will be filed.

And you don't think a lawyer can construe that to be blackmail?

Zigner

OP is considering sending in an estimate for damages that exceeds the value of the vehicle, along with a copy of the statute, in a veiled threat that if the estimate for damages isn't paid, the complaint will be filed.

Are you talking about the report that is REQUIRED BY LAW?

Mass_Shyster

Are you talking about the report that is REQUIRED BY LAW?
Yup.

OP is considering sending in an estimate for damages that exceeds the value of the vehicle, along with a copy of the statute, in a veiled threat that if the estimate for damages isn't paid, the [legally required] complaint will be filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">