• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A question about an out of state warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TeeJay123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have a question regarding a warrant that was apparently issued in the state that I used to live in.

Background:

I worked for a company for five years and was fired when nearing the sixth. There reason for firing me was due to an inability to have me bonded. This issue was because of a class c felony I received when I was 17. They never had me fill out an application, they never asked me if I had a felony in any of the interviews. They did not fire me for non disclosure but because I handled money and they could not bond me they could not keep me. This is what I was told. I had no recourse but to move several states away where my family was from for monetary reasons. Eight months go by and I get a call from the police in the previous state that there is a warrant for my arrest due to theft from my employer. The charge alleges I stole $6,000.00 (untrue but now I must face the charges to clear this up.) I am wondering what the options are here. Can the police in the state I currently live in arrest me and extradite me? I am making the trip next week to "turn myself in" and what happens then? I cannot afford a lawyer, I know I qualify for a Public Defender, but am I going to have to sit in jail until the court date? The officer assured me I could stay with my daughter who is now in that state but I feel he is just saying that so that I will come in. I am going in regardless, I need to clear this up so I can get on with my life. I am a nervous wreck as this stands.

On a related note, I had two retirement policies when I left my job. One was a 457 which I contributed to and my employer did not, the other they contributed 10% of my gross wages per year towards. I still have not received either of these benefits. Is there a legal amount of time which they can hold MY money? In checking with the company that holds my retirement benefits they issued checks, but sent them to my former employer. Is this legal?

Last edited:

CdwJava

Can the police in the state I currently live in arrest me and extradite me?
Yes. If the issuing state confirms the warrant and indicates they intend to extradite you, officers in your state CAN arrest you on that warrant.

Even if they do not arrest you, the warrant does not go away, can prevent access to government loans and welfare, and can result in frequent detentions and arrests until cleared up.

I am making the trip next week to "turn myself in" and what happens then?
Hard to say. If you have bail money you can likely go in and out with a new court date. Otherwise, you may have to stay until you at least go before a judge. If not released on your own recognizance or on bail, then you may have a long stay.

As to the retirement issue, you may have to consult a civil attorney about that ... there are many issues that could come into play in such an equation including state and federal laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">