• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Account Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manya82

I am a resident of NJ.I recently separated from my Husband and the very next day he went and cleared out our Joint account and took all our savings.I have my Salary Payslips and Bank statements to prove that I should get half of it.Since I haven't filed for Divorce yet, can i File a Police Case/Lawsuit against my Husband to recover my share of the Money ? What is the Best Way to deal with this situation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am a resident of NJ.I recently separated from my Husband and the very next day he went and cleared out our Joint account and took all our savings.I have my Salary Payslips and Bank statements to prove that I should get half of it.Since I haven't filed for Divorce yet, can i File a Police Case/Lawsuit against my Husband to recover my share of the Money ? What is the Best Way to deal with this situation.
It's his money too. The case you can file is your divorce. It will be addressed there.

manya82

Half of it is His, and the other half is mine.I was waiting for the Divorce to come through before taking any money out.It isn't Illegal maybe, but what what he did is not right.I want to know if there is anything that I can do Legally to make him return my share.

LdiJ

Half of it is His, and the other half is mine.I was waiting for the Divorce to come through before taking any money out.It isn't Illegal maybe, but what what he did is not right.I want to know if there is anything that I can do Legally to make him return my share.
Other than through the divorce process? No, there is nothing you can do.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Half of it is His, and the other half is mine.
Nope, at THIS point, ALL of it belongs to BOTH of you.
I was waiting for the Divorce to come through before taking any money out.It isn't Illegal maybe, but what what he did is not right.I want to know if there is anything that I can do Legally to make him return my share.
It will be addressed in the divorce. I'm sorry that he wasn't as nice a person as you.

mistoffolees

As you've been told - it will be covered in the divorce.

Ask the bank for an account statement. That will show his withdrawal. When you settle all the accounts during the divorce, ask the court to recognize that he already received $xxx of the total.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">