• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pre-nup

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lookingoutforme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

My husband owned property prior to our marriage. We have a pre-nup which includes the property. After we were married we built a house on that property. His name is on the deed; both names are on the loan. What are my rights if any?:confused:

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

My husband owned property prior to our marriage. We have a pre-nup which includes the property. After we were married we built a house on that property. His name is on the deed; both names are on the loan. What are my rights if any?:confused:
That would depend on a lot of details. For starters:

What does the prenup say (exactly)?

Did both of you have attorneys review the prenup?

How long were you married?

Is there any equity in the home?

lookingoutforme

We both work full-time and had joint accounts at that time. Therefore we both contributed. There is approximately 90 thousand in equity. I would like to find a way to stay in the house if possible. Pre-nup was files approx 1 week before marriage using his attorney. As far as the pre-nup on the items he is to retain it states "property at(then the address). No values posted on anything in pre-nup. Obviously that was prior to construction and we were living in a house in another city. Of course I would lime to keep house but if that's not possible I do want to be fair. He doesn't feel I'm entitled to anything.

nextwife

We both work full-time and had joint accounts at that time. Therefore we both contributed. There is approximately 90 thousand in equity. I would like to find a way to stay in the house if possible. Pre-nup was files approx 1 week before marriage using his attorney. As far as the pre-nup on the items he is to retain it states "property at(then the address). No values posted on anything in pre-nup. Obviously that was prior to construction and we were living in a house in another city. Of course I would lime to keep house but if that's not possible I do want to be fair. He doesn't feel I'm entitled to anything.
The entire value of the land would be premarital (minus any open mtgs at that time). The house constructed could be comingled marital property. So one would likely need to subtract the land value from the total improved value, then deduct the debt, and divide the remaining value in half. He'd likely owe you half of the equity in the improvements (house). Whomever keeps the place would need to pay off the other their interest and refinance them off the debt.

Was there an open mtg on the land at time of marriage? If not, should you keep the place, expect to pay him for the land plus half the equity in the house.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Well, he is wrong about that. You are entitled to half of the equity in the home. I do not see any way that YOU could keep the home since its sitting on his premarital land.

However, since you did not have an attorney for the prenup, it may not hold. See an attorney of your own, now.

nextwife

Well, he is wrong about that. You are entitled to half of the equity in the home. I do not see any way that YOU could keep the home since its sitting on his premarital land.

However, since you did not have an attorney for the prenup, it may not hold. See an attorney of your own, now.
I She is entitled to half the INCREASE in equity since the marriage.

HE already owned the land portion and brought that equity to the marriage, so the equity he had at marriage needs to be deducted out..

LdiJ

I She is entitled to half the INCREASE in equity since the marriage.

HE already owned the land portion and brought that equity to the marriage, so the equity he had at marriage needs to be deducted out..
I was assuming that she was only talking about the equity in the house itself. However, if the equity was with the house and land combined, then I absolutely agree with you.

lookingoutforme

Thank you. Yes, I am talking about the equity of the house alone,not the property. I don't want to be unfair,I don't even want this divorce. However,I do want what I'm entitled to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">