• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should be settlement offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vikasintl

WA USA.

I was rear ended in hit and run case.I don't have personal injury protection or collision+comprehensive coverage.
Car was badly hit and my driver seat was completely broken, obviously I had personal injuries. Because of lack of money I could not go to doctor yet and third party insurance company all state is not ready to pay for my medical bills as they incur, they said they will pay only at the end of claim. So, at last I decided to ask for settlement offer and they offered me $2000. I know it low ball offer and I am wondering what should be ideal offer in my case? I did not spend any money for medical treatment yet but have two different doctor's exam and diagnosis and and one of them who is chiropractic, quoted $7500 for complete treatment. is it true that usually pain and suffering amount is about 3 times than medical bills etc.? What should be ideal amount for settlement considering quote of $7500 for future treatment and pain and suffering for last 6 months. I had this accident in may 2010 and I am still suffering as I could not start treatment yet. I am also wondering is it is true when they say in third party insurance settlement offer they are not required to consider future medical bills that is why their offer of $2000 does not include any payment for furture medial bills.

Last edited:

justalayman

they don't have to consider anything they don't want to consider. If you don't agree with their offer, your option is to sue. A person without a lawyer is at a disadvantage so it is to their benefit to low ball you.

ecmst12

Considering your proveable injuries are nonexistent since you haven't been to the doctor, they don't have to offer you ANYTHING. You can't collect for possible future treatment, you can only claim treatment you have HAD. You might not need all $7500 worth of treatment, or you might need more. If you have health insurance, use that. Otherwise, your only option is to pay out of pocket and claim for reimbursement after your treatment is complete.

You really need to talk to a couple of lawyers. You also will probably need to see a neuro surgen (~$150).
Your med expenses could go on for years and cost tens of thousands. You won't know until xrays and probably an MRI.
If you did get hurt and don't talk to a lawyer.... you are a fool!

Last edited:

tranquility

While I practically agree with ecmst12, in theory, you can only claim the *damages* you have had. Anytime you have had treatment, you have had more in damages. Just saying.

W

Willlyjo

Considering your proveable injuries are nonexistent since you haven't been to the doctor, they don't have to offer you ANYTHING. You can't collect for possible future treatment, you can only claim treatment you have HAD. You might not need all $7500 worth of treatment, or you might need more. If you have health insurance, use that. Otherwise, your only option is to pay out of pocket and claim for reimbursement after your treatment is complete.
Of course you can collect for future medical if your injuries are permanent or even long lasting. Future medical is definitely a part of a calculation depending on the seriousness of the injury.

ecmst12

But THIS poster cannot collect for future medical treatment when he hasn't received ANY treatment at all.

vikasintl

Both the doctors indicated I need treatment

But THIS poster cannot collect for future medical treatment when he hasn't received ANY treatment at all.
Even though both the doctors indicated that I need treatment and I have pain/suffering all these 6 months after accident...just because being unemployed I could not afford to go to doctor.
Still they can say I can not have anything for future treatment? just because I could not afford to go to doctor yet? and actually that is why I am looking for settlement as I don't have money to pay to doctor and since this thrid party insurance no doctor is ready to wait till settlement.

ecmst12

And that's not how it works. You don't KNOW how much treatment you will need. And the insurance claim is for REIMBURSEMENT. Not to pay your bills directly. That's what PIP or Medical Payments coverage on your OWN insurance is for.

vikasintl

And that's not how it works. You don't KNOW how much treatment you will need. And the insurance claim is for REIMBURSEMENT. Not to pay your bills directly. That's what PIP or Medical Payments coverage on your OWN insurance is for.
One of them is chiropractic and he gave me approx. quote in writing that it will cost $7500 still it won't help for future medical bills?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">