• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested without being told why

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2010help

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

I was in court and was told by the judge that i have an arrest warrant and then i was told to stand and the deputy marshall in the court placed handcuffs on me and walked me out. I was then booked into jail where no one could tell me why i was arrested or what the arrest warrant was for. I was in jail for over 24 hours before my arrainment and this is where a judge asked me if i knew what i was being charged with and i said no. He then read me what i was being charged with.

I think this is odd how i can be arrested with an arrest warrant but not be told why. I was never questioned, given miranda rights, or told what i was being arrested for. Is this legal? If it is, why and how?

CdwJava

You were arrested for a warrant - you were told that. If your state's law required them to tell you what the warrant said, then you ca n beef the officer(s) involved. It won't get you out of the charges, but it might get the officer(s) a stern talking to and, perhaps, a letter in their file.

justalayman

You were arrested for a warrant - you were told that. If your state's law required them to tell you what the warrant said, then you ca n beef the officer(s) involved. It won't get you out of the charges, but it might get the officer(s) a stern talking to and, perhaps, a letter in their file.
I wonder if the cops even knew what the charge was. The judge is the one that had the guy arrested. He might have been the only one that knew.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">