• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce and car insurance question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pinkcuda360

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

my wife and i are getting divorced. can i keep her and both our cars on my insurance policy? or since we will legally not be related anymore, will she be required to carry her own insurance. thanks in advance

ecmst12

As long as your name is on the title, you should keep the car on your policy. If she is living elsewhere, you'll need to let the insurance know where the car is being garaged.

If your name isn't on the title and she's not in the same household with you, then she needs her own policy.

pinkcuda360

okay so i think we have kind of a mess then. we live seperately, both cars are in her name but one will be transferred to mine in a couple months when it is paid off.

so legally there is no way for us to remain on the same insurance policy then?

ecmst12

Not if you don't live together or both have ownership interest in the vehicles. SHE actually should be the primary insured on both cars since she's the owner. She can keep them on one policy until her name is taken off the 2nd car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">