• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured Driver Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hydroshock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

A little over a month ago, a driver had bumped into me in a drive-thru doing minor damage (est. $468.28). I had gotten a picture of their insurance and registration etc. and exchanged phone numbers and was on my way.

I attempted to contact them later that day, I find I was given their mother's phone number, and explained what happened, and I filed a claim. I was later contacted that their policy was not active at the time (assuming unpaid), the insurance company said they would contact me again something about attempting to get me the correct information. From here I had tried calling back another time after this and the mother was busy driving and said they'd call me back. I called them back about an hour later, no answer, left a voice mail.

At this point, I didn't have so much time to deal with this as I was leaving for Florida for a couple weeks. After which I come home to find that the other insurance company sent me a letter just to explains they closed the case rather.

Well I tried calling the other party again to find their phone was disconnected. I also called my insurance company to file the claim, and they told me I didn't have uninsured motorist coverage (Not sure why they claim this, I just talked to them, I just looked at my policy and I definitely paid for it) Regardless they said they wouldn't pursue the other party for me.

I just seem to be stuck at this point on how to pursue them. I would just contact the police, but i've been told they're less than helpful when an accident happens on private property. I've seen both instances 5 years ago where they gave out a hit and run from a friend and helped him out, but only a few weeks ago were unhelpful in another hit and run on private property.

I do have an address from the registration, but I don't know if it is correct, nor do I know how to handle the situation if it is. I also did find the other party's Facebook page, and I don't know if it's worthwhile to attempt contacting them on there if they're avoiding me.

ecmst12

The uninsured motorist coverage on your policy is probably for injuries only. Uninsured motorist property damage coverage is not available in all states.

Start by going down to the police station at your soonest and file an accident report. Use the info that they gave you.

ecmst12

Which would not do him any good at all. He already has all the info that the police might be able to give him, and a police report is useless in court.

aldaron

How much is your deductable? If its 500$ like mine your better off eating the cost vs collecting on your insurance. Then sue the the person responsible if it can be done painlessly. Insurance cos hate being nickel and dimed your ins rates will reflect that.

ecmst12

The accident was not his fault. His rates will not increase for a collision claim in a NOT AT FAULT accident, and his insurance will deal with the hassle of pursuing the other party. But I'm guessing he doesn't have collision coverage, or the question of uninsured motorist wouldn't have even come up.

justalayman

The accident was not his fault. His rates will not increase for a collision claim in a NOT AT FAULT accident, and his insurance will deal with the hassle of pursuing the other party. But I'm guessing he doesn't have collision coverage, or the question of uninsured motorist wouldn't have even come up.
what are you folks even arguing about? He doesn't have coverage for this so his insurance company isn't going to pay anything and since they aren't going to pay anything, they are not going to go after the other guy.

Both of you need to go back and read the first post again.

btw: that was meant in the nicest way.

ecmst12

I want to dispell the myth that filing a collision claim in an accident where you are not at fault is the same as if you WERE at fault. Not just for the benefit of OP.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
what are you folks even arguing about? He doesn't have coverage for this so his insurance company isn't going to pay anything and since they aren't going to pay anything, they are not going to go after the other guy.

Both of you need to go back and read the first post again.
I just have to say that what the OP SAID was: I also called my insurance company to file the claim, and they told me I didn't have uninsured motorist coverage (Not sure why they claim this, I just talked to them, I just looked at my policy and I definitely paid for it) Regardless they said they wouldn't pursue the other party for me.

Based on that, it is valid to suggest filing a claim under the COLLISION portion of the OP's insurance. However, I'm thinking (like you) that the OP also doesn't have collision insurance, even though it wasn't mentioned)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">