• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental rights question...help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichaelSmith201

I live in Tennessee, and I need some advice.

I am going through a divorce, and have signed papers agreeing to joint custody. I recently asked my ex for the address where my son lives when he is with her, and she has refused to tell me. This is very suspicious and I am very concerned. I am almost certain that I have a parental right to know, and for that matter, the divorce papers clearly state that I have the right to send my son mail, which she cannot open. What should I do? There are many basic reasons why I would like my son's address, and I feel any parent should have the right to this very trivial information. And for the record, there is no relevant reason for her to deny me this. I have never been in trouble with the law, never skipped out on my responsiblities with my son, and there has never been any violence or innappropriate actions that would give her the right to do this.

If she is not going to give me the address, what can I do to force her to give it to me? What should my next step be? I just want to know where my son lives, and I do not think merely knowing his address is out of line in any way. Please help me!!! At first I didn't think about this much, but now that she is refusing to tell me, I have gone from merely curious to genuinely worried...

LdiJ

I am going through a divorce, and have signed papers agreeing to joint custody. I recently asked my ex for the address where my son lives when he is with her, and she has refused to tell me. This is very suspicious and I am very concerned. I am almost certain that I have a parental right to know, and for that matter, the divorce papers clearly state that I have the right to send my son mail, which she cannot open. What should I do? There are many basic reasons why I would like my son's address, and I feel any parent should have the right to this very trivial information. And for the record, there is no relevant reason for her to deny me this. I have never been in trouble with the law, never skipped out on my responsiblities with my son, and there has never been any violence or innappropriate actions that would give her the right to do this.

If she is not going to give me the address, what can I do to force her to give it to me? What should my next step be? I just want to know where my son lives, and I do not think merely knowing his address is out of line in any way. Please help me!!! At first I didn't think about this much, but now that she is refusing to tell me, I have gone from merely curious to genuinely worried...
Once the judge has signed off on the custody portion of your divorce, then you will be in a better position to force her to give you her address.

majomom1

Do you have an attorney? There should already be a paragraph in the agreement for you both to inform each other of your address etc...

If there is not, I would ask for that to be included before the Judge signs off on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">