• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's Going to Pay??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rg1964

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I was rear-ended at a stop light nearly a month ago. The other driver was cited by the police, we exchanged information. My wife was slightly injured and went to the doctor the next day - nothing serious, some pain from muscle strains, etc.

The young driver of the other vehicle was visiting from out of state, driving a car he borrowed from a local friend, it's registered in Ohio. He has his own auto insurance, the owner of the car has his own as well.

The insurance of the car owner is saying they won't pay since the driver has his own insurance. The insurance of the driver is saying they won't pay.

What in the world are my options?? I don't want to have to pay for an attorney, but may have to. Does anyone know who is legally responsible to pay to fix my vehicle (estimates at $2,000 to fix it).

I sincerely appreciate any help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I was rear-ended at a stop light nearly a month ago. The other driver was cited by the police, we exchanged information. My wife was slightly injured and went to the doctor the next day - nothing serious, some pain from muscle strains, etc.

The young driver of the other vehicle was visiting from out of state, driving a car he borrowed from a local friend, it's registered in Ohio. He has his own auto insurance, the owner of the car has his own as well.

The insurance of the car owner is saying they won't pay since the driver has his own insurance. The insurance of the driver is saying they won't pay.

What in the world are my options?? I don't want to have to pay for an attorney, but may have to. Does anyone know who is legally responsible to pay to fix my vehicle (estimates at $2,000 to fix it).

I sincerely appreciate any help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Sue the driver and the owner, the court will sort it out.
Alternatively, file with YOUR insurance company and let THEM figure it out.

ecmst12

The owner's insurance should pay unless the owner did something to violate his contract. Insurance follows the car before the driver.

If you have collision coverage, that will certainly be the easiest way to go, then you can let your insurance company worry about getting reimbursed by the other party. They should get your deductible back as well. It may take some time, but it's a lot less hassle for you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">