• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting divorced - lawyer delaying the process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GeorgeJones

Hi,

Getting a divorce in New York. *Everything* is done, agreed upon, settlement agreement signed, court papers signed & completed. My lawyer prepared all the paperwork & sent it to his lawyer to get signatures & subsequently file with the court. The signatures have been obtained, *everything* is signed & ready to go. Problem is, his lawyer refuses to file the papers (which he did not prepare) until he is paid in full. It's been months & the lawyer is just sitting on these papers...it's going to take a while for him to be paid in full because money doesn't just grow on trees. Meanwhile, even though my ex & I are more than ready to get divorced, his lawyer is just sitting on the papers & not filing them.

What should I do? If I can get my ex to agree to it, I'm thinking of going behind the lawyer's back, re-signing the separation agreement, & filing for a quicky no-fault divorce (which they just enacted in NY last month).

I know it would be a fairly shady move, as far as attorney-client relations go, but are there any legal reasons for me not to do that?

Thanks for your help.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New YorkWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

Hi,

Getting a divorce in New York. *Everything* is done, agreed upon, settlement agreement signed, court papers signed & completed. My lawyer prepared all the paperwork & sent it to his lawyer to get signatures & subsequently file with the court. The signatures have been obtained, *everything* is signed & ready to go. Problem is, his lawyer refuses to file the papers (which he did not prepare) until he is paid in full. It's been months & the lawyer is just sitting on these papers...it's going to take a while for him to be paid in full because money doesn't just grow on trees. Meanwhile, even though my ex & I are more than ready to get divorced, his lawyer is just sitting on the papers & not filing them.

What should I do? If I can get my ex to agree to it, I'm thinking of going behind the lawyer's back, re-signing the separation agreement, & filing for a quicky no-fault divorce (which they just enacted in NY last month).

I know it would be a fairly shady move, as far as attorney-client relations go, but are there any legal reasons for me not to do that?

Thanks for your help.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New YorkWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Why not just pay the attorney's fees? I mean you want to do this on the up-and-up, right?

Frankly I don't blame the attorney for not acting - after all, it's been months and months...

GeorgeJones

Why not just pay the attorney's fees? I mean you want to do this on the up-and-up, right?

Frankly I don't blame the attorney for not acting - after all, it's been months and months...
First of all, nobody just happens to have a spare $9000 just lying around. do they?. The problem isn't my outright refusal to pay the attorney. If that were my intention, I never would have agreed to it in the first place. The problem is my inability to pay the entire amount up front, & the lawyer's refusal to move forward on anything until the entire amount is paid off, which was never mentioned up front. I was never told that the action of filing the papers was contingent upon being paid in full. If I had been told, again, I wouldn't have agreed to those terms. I might have been in the same place I am now, but at least there would have been some kind of understanding or agreement in place.

acmb05

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Why not just have your lawyer type up the agreement again, have your ex sign it and have your attorney submit it to the courts for a judge to sign off on?

Proserpina

First of all, nobody just happens to have a spare $9000 just lying around. do they?.

I can't speak for anyone else. But...well, our savings account has at least several months' worth of "bill money" available just in case something Really Bad Happens. Or, for an emergency.

So I can't say that nobody has that kind of money available.

The problem isn't my outright refusal to pay the attorney. If that were my intention, I never would have agreed to it in the first place. The problem is my inability to pay the entire amount up front, & the lawyer's refusal to move forward on anything until the entire amount is paid off, which was never mentioned up front. I was never told that the action of filing the papers was contingent upon being paid in full. If I had been told, again, I wouldn't have agreed to those terms. I might have been in the same place I am now, but at least there would have been some kind of understanding or agreement in place.

Why are YOU concerned about HIS legal fees?

Couldn't YOUR attorney file?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My lawyer prepared all the paperwork & sent it to his lawyer to get signatures & subsequently file with the court. The signatures have been obtained, *everything* is signed & ready to go. Problem is, his lawyer refuses to file the papers (which he did not prepare) until he is paid in full. It's been months & the lawyer is just sitting on these papers...it's going to take a while for him to be paid in full because money doesn't just grow on trees. Meanwhile, even though my ex & I are more than ready to get divorced, his lawyer is just sitting on the papers & not filing them.
First of all, nobody just happens to have a spare $9000 just lying around. do they?. The problem isn't my outright refusal to pay the attorney. If that were my intention, I never would have agreed to it in the first place. The problem is my inability to pay the entire amount up front, & the lawyer's refusal to move forward on anything until the entire amount is paid off, which was never mentioned up front. I was never told that the action of filing the papers was contingent upon being paid in full. If I had been told, again, I wouldn't have agreed to those terms. I might have been in the same place I am now, but at least there would have been some kind of understanding or agreement in place.
So... wait... Is it HIS lawyer (first post) or YOUR lawyer (second post) who needs to be paid? Or both? Try to keep the story straight, dear.

CourtClerk

How dare this attorney decide he wants to be paid for his services before he completes them?

How about this? I go to the grocery store, fill up a cart, get to the checkstand and tell them I'll pay for some of it now, but I'm going to take it all and come back and pay you the rest later.

How about YOU go to work all week and when payday comes, have your boss tell you that he'll pay you for Monday and Tuesday now, but Wednesday - Friday? He'll pay you later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">