• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-Counsel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikeydee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
I have a lawyer who promised to do a great job w/ a civil case, he took his retainer, & basically stopped working, he insisted the case will settle so he sees no need to do any work, he missed every deadline, at one point the defendant did not have a lawyer for 9 months, & he missed the discovery deadline & rescheduled the case, now the defendant has a lawyer, & my attorney is upset, he has to do depositions & discovery. I want to add a lawyer as co-counsel, to keep this guy in check, (I honestly want to replace him but trial is in 2 weeks and I feel stuck). When I talked to him about a co-counsel he said no everything is fine he doesn't need any help, if I want him off the case he would leave but no co-counsel, I have invested to much to change lawyers, do I need his OK for a co-counsel? I am worried he will mess up the case more, and more up-set, he agrees to everything from the adversary and fights with me to accept it, he's argument is, its too much work and he won't do it. I really need some help here What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My question is can I add a co-counsel without the approval of my current lawyer?

Last edited:

latigo

Not wanting to incur the expense of replacing the attorney makes good sense. Thinking that a co-counsel would work for nothing or that a competent lawyer would want to be saddled next to this lazy slob doesn’t.

If you don’t fire and hire, you’ll have to take your chances with what you’ve got. If you lose the case, you may have some grounds for misfeasance.

Also, waiting until the eleventh hour before asking for “some help” doesn’t show much alacrity on your part either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">