• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plagued with Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

This is a combo situation so I am not sure it belongs here, but if anyone could give some advice I would appreciate it.

About a year and a have ago my daughter was in an accident and the car was fixed by a certain car dealer.

A few weeks ago she was in another accident that did next to no damage to the other car but dented her driver's side door. At the same time the previous repair (front bumper) popped off again.

The same car dealer fixed it again, repaired the front bumper for free (but did a half azzed job of it) and while the car was in there we had the non-working fan motor (the fan for the heating and air conditioning) fixed. We were more than a little surprised that the dealer only charged 120.00 to fix the fan motor, because everyone else had quoted between 350.00 and 400.00. Prior to all of this the car was working fine.

When we picked up the car they told us it needed a new battery, but that we could get one cheaper from Sears or Walmart, so we replaced the battery.

Two days later her car would not start, and jumping didn't work. Her boyfriend tested the battery, then tested the alternator, then tested the starter and couldn't figure out which was causing the problem.

She had it towed to Car Ex. Car ex agreed to allow her to provide whatever part was needed. She emphasized to them three times that no work was to be done until they were absolutely certain what was wrong with the car. They told her that they had diagnosed it multiple times and they were certain it was the starter. She bought the starter and delivered it to them.

Two days later they called her and told her that the timing chain was broken, and that it needed a new engine.

First, can anyone tell me if there is any chance that the dealer or Car Ex could have caused the timing chain to get broken in either the repair of the fan motor for heat and air conditioning, or in the process of trying to find out why it wouldn't start?

Second, is there any recourse against charges that Car Ex wants her to pay even though they guaranteed her that the starter was the problem, and they were wrong?

Its a real problem because the car is not even paid off yet, but its not reasonable to put a new engine in it. The frustrating this is that the insurance company wanted to total it from the accident, because the car is a 2003 with 150k miles on it (a Saturn) but in the end did not do so. If they had, we would have had gap insurance that would have paid it off.

Last edited:

Dave1952

The heater blower motor has nothing to do with your timing chain issue.
What do you mean by "not start"? Did the engine refuse to turn over or did it turn over but refuse to fire?
The 2003 Saturn (2.2 L.) may have a problem with the lubrication of the timing chain. The NHTSA is investigating but I don't think there is a recall. The chain was supposed to last for a "lifetime".
The starter issue should be easy to address. Get the old starter and test it. If it doesn't spin then they were right to replace it.
I hate to say it but I think you are the victim of a series of horrible coincidences and bad luck. I can't imagine that the Car Ex folks did anything negligent to break the timing chain and a bad starter is really easy to diagnose.

Good luck

LdiJ

The heater blower motor has nothing to do with your timing chain issue.
What do you mean by "not start"? Did the engine refuse to turn over or did it turn over but refuse to fire?
The 2003 Saturn (2.2 L.) may have a problem with the lubrication of the timing chain. The NHTSA is investigating but I don't think there is a recall. The chain was supposed to last for a "lifetime".
The starter issue should be easy to address. Get the old starter and test it. If it doesn't spin then they were right to replace it.
I hate to say it but I think you are the victim of a series of horrible coincidences and bad luck. I can't imagine that the Car Ex folks did anything negligent to break the timing chain and a bad starter is really easy to diagnose.

Good luck
I think you are right...its just a bad series of coinidences and bad luck. I had only wondered because the car dealer fixed the fan blower for such a ridiculously low price and then Car Ex agreed to let my daughter provide the part for a starting issue. It made me wonder if one of them did something.

We will deal with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">