• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claim or Not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bif

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I went out of town for a few weeks, and had my car taken to my sister's husband to be house. While I was away he got into some trouble and they took eyerything that was at his home including my car. During the pelim when asked about the automobiles that were involved and taken from his residence my car wasnt mentioned. However they refuse to give it back, because they claim not to know who owns it after I provided them with a bill of sale as well as the title. Can I get my insurance company involved at this point?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

bif

bif

They got him on an alleged fraud case, It was never said if you could or couldnt use the car, and they siezed anything of value that was at his residense. The alleged crime took place somewhere else.

ecmst12

I don't think there's anything your insurance company can do in this case. Your car is evidence in a criminal investigation.

Dave1952

You have not told us why they seized all of this stuff. Most especially, why did they take your car? Since there already was a preliminary hearing you should know the name of the ADA who is handling this.
Have you written him about your claim to this car? Try a brief note explaining why the car was parked at his home and include a xerox of the Title. Ask when the ADA plans to return your car to you.

Good luck

bif

bif

Thanks for the replies, ecmst12 they didnt mention my car in the investigation, but there were several others mentioned. As far as mine they keep telling us that they are trying to determine ownership in the car. My attorney have sent them a bill of sale as well as a copy the title back and front. The officer just isnt trying to release it.

Dave1952, they are saying that the fraud case is one that has been going on for sometime and thats why they are seizing all assests. We have been in contact with the da, and the da has even instructed the officer to give my belonging out of the car, and the officer still decided to give me partial items that were in my car. We filed a motion to get my car back through the courts but I still need transportation until its complete. So, by law can i get a rental through my insurance company?

justalayman

Sometimes "ownership" isn't accurately reflected in a title. What I mean by that is if they claim the car was the BIL's for all intents and purposes other than the title, they may have a valid claim on the car. Your name may have been used merely to hide the asset.

Not saying that is what happened, just a possibility that would confuse the situation.

So, you will have to determine if the seized it merely due to it being at the wrong place at the wrong time or they are claiming it was factually one of his assets but merely titled in your name to hide it.

Once you do that, you can take action to retrieve the vehicle. If they grabbed it simply because it was there, then proof of ownership should be adequate to release it.

If they claim it was essentially his, you will likely have to apply for a release as in innocent injured party. You will likely have to do this via the courts as this would have to be ruled on by the courts.

ecmst12

I doubt your insurance will cover a rental for this reason, usually rental coverage is only for when your car is out of commission due to an accident. But you can call them.

bif

No he didnt sell me the car, the title has never been in his name. I purchased the car like 3 months ago. I just had it parked there because I knew I was going to be out of town for a while, i've spent maybe a week home in the past 2months. Oh to the other post no drugs were involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">