• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lezlie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. My husband kicked me out of our home and is holding most of the possessions. I need furniture. I wrote down 71 items in the home and figured out his gets half and i get half ( on paper what seems fair ). I want half my stuff now and don't want to wait two more months for court. What should i do? He also changed the locks and security system.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. My husband kicked me out of our home and is holding most of the possessions. I need furniture. I wrote down 71 items in the home and figured out his gets half and i get half ( on paper what seems fair ). I want half my stuff now and don't want to wait two more months for court. What should i do? He also changed the locks and security system.
Technically your husband had absolutely no right to lock you out of the marital home unless a judge ordered that he was to have sole possession.

You would have every right to call a locksmith to open the home for you...or even to move right back in until a judge says otherwise.

However, you have to judge whether its safe or wise to do either of those things.

Lezlie

security system

He has held on to possessions for 3 months. I created a list of 50/50 and its fare..he has done nothing to share. How do i get past the security system? When I get in it will go off. I don't mind if the cops come but im not sure what to do. Should i call the police first?..

nextwife

Was this a household you and he created together, or did you or he BRING many of the household items TO the marriage, or already have the marital home? The split MAY not be 50/50 of what is in the home. It would be 50/50 of whatever was acquired DURING the marriage, and you each should be free to keep whatever you individually brought to the marriage.

LdiJ

He has held on to possessions for 3 months. I created a list of 50/50 and its fare..he has done nothing to share. How do i get past the security system? When I get in it will go off. I don't mind if the cops come but im not sure what to do. Should i call the police first?..
Personally, based on your other thread, I think that you should move your butt right back into the marital home since he is also keeping you from your child. Then refuse to budge until everything is decided.

Lezlie

thank you

We aquired all the assets together over the last 3 years. I have put equal money. I moved into a home 50 miles away. It has been since july that i have not been living on our property.

Someone told me if its been 30 days since iv lived on my property that i cant go back in for my stuff?

LdiJ

We aquired all the assets together over the last 3 years. I have put equal money. I moved into a home 50 miles away. It has been since july that i have not been living on our property.

Someone told me if its been 30 days since iv lived on my property that i cant go back in for my stuff?
You had best get yourself an attorney. You are getting bad advice.

granny2go

LOCKED OUT & NEED WARM CLOTHES in TX

Have been married 40yrs to abusive husband with 3 abused sons. About 6 yrs ago my doctors told me 2 move away from the stress there-it was bad enough to eventually kill me. Sons were grown & on their own; they had encouraged me to do this for many years. Talked it over with them & other family members-all gave their blessing. i tried to keep & repair marriage by going to therapist (5 different ones) & continuing family activities. Now not only has he locked me out & my winter clothes, Christmas things, but he has encouraged our oldest son to end all contact including our grandkids. To top it off he has sworne our 2 sons living in the area to not let me in or tell me anything about him or my grandkids. I started to file for divorce but knowing how difficult he will make it made me so ill I had to stop. Becouse of abuse issues I don't want 2 move back but I DO WANT FREE ACESS to my things & our house. Any suggestions & help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks & BLESS YOU.

LdiJ

Have been married 40yrs to abusive husband with 3 abused sons. About 6 yrs ago my doctors told me 2 move away from the stress there-it was bad enough to eventually kill me. Sons were grown & on their own; they had encouraged me to do this for many years. Talked it over with them & other family members-all gave their blessing. i tried to keep & repair marriage by going to therapist (5 different ones) & continuing family activities. Now not only has he locked me out & my winter clothes, Christmas things, but he has encouraged our oldest son to end all contact including our grandkids. To top it off he has sworne our 2 sons living in the area to not let me in or tell me anything about him or my grandkids. I started to file for divorce but knowing how difficult he will make it made me so ill I had to stop. Becouse of abuse issues I don't want 2 move back but I DO WANT FREE ACESS to my things & our house. Any suggestions & help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks & BLESS YOU.
Please start your own thread. It causes great confusion when new posters ask questions on someone else's thread.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Personally, based on your other thread, I think that you should move your butt right back into the marital home since he is also keeping you from your child. Then refuse to budge until everything is decided.
Yet to a woman (Hoosiermom) who had the child of the marriage and was living in the marital home, you gave the opposite advice and stated that she didn't have to let her husband live in the home. She should even call the police to have him removed. In this thread you are telling the WOMAN to move her butt right back in. Care to explain?

majomom1

Yet to a woman (Hoosiermom) who had the child of the marriage and was living in the marital home, you gave the opposite advice and stated that she didn't have to let her husband live in the home. She should even call the police to have him removed. In this thread you are telling the WOMAN to move her butt right back in. Care to explain?
No... that was a different situation. I thought the same thing too... as did a few others, but you cleared that up. Thanks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No... that was a different situation. I thought the same thing too... as did a few others, but you cleared that up. Thanks.
It is a different situation with different people however she gave contradicting advice in the two threads. I have to wonder why other than the genders of the people who moved out of the house and want back in.

The OP can move back into the marital residence unless there are court orders telling her otherwise. A court is the only one who can have her removed from the marital home. That does not mean however she can remove things from the marital residence. She would need the court to determine if she can remove items.

LdiJ

You are going to have to link me back to that thread...so that I can see the context. Otherwise I cannot explain.

Nevermind, I now know which thread you are referring to and that was low on your part. Hoosiermom is NOT living in the marital home. She is living in an apartment that she leased AFTER separation and after the divorce was filed...and after dad moved to NY.

She let him stay for a visit and he refuses to leave. The two circumstances aren't even remotely similar in any legal context.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are going to have to link me back to that thread...so that I can see the context. Otherwise I cannot explain.

Nevermind, I now know which thread you are referring to and that was low on your part. Hoosiermom is NOT living in the marital home. She is living in an apartment that she leased AFTER separation and after the divorce was filed...and after dad moved to NY.

She let him stay for a visit and he refuses to leave. The two circumstances aren't even remotely similar in any legal context.
Yes they are. In both situations, the parties are married. There is NO filed legal separation. There are no court orders granting sole possession. In both one party decided not to reside with their spouse for a period of time. There are MANY similarities. And no, it was NOT low. It was pointing out your inconsistencies and favoring of the woman.

LdiJ

Yes they are. In both situations, the parties are married. There is NO filed legal separation. There are no court orders granting sole possession. In both one party decided not to reside with their spouse for a period of time. There are MANY similarities. And no, it was NOT low. It was pointing out your inconsistencies and favoring of the woman.
That is just ridiculous. I would have given a man in the same circumstances the same advice.

It is NOT the marital home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">