• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Watt's Credits Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Klyde

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I will try and make a long story short. In divorce process since 10/09. She filed OSC for custody & support that was awarded 3/10. Child and Spousal support was awarded to her. She moved out 04/10.

In trying to settle, I quickly offered to purchase marital home. Now, 8 months later they are seeking for Watts credits, and it's likely will go to trial without settling (on at least some of the issues).

I want to know what are her chances of winning Watt's Credits at Trial? I understand this is discretionary credit. I understand the law and concept of Watt's and Epstein Credits.

Facts:
1) She moved voluntarily (not happy, but voluntarily)
2) The OSC for custody and support was silent on this issue. Actually, guideline support was determined based upon me making the mortgage & tax payments.
3) Notice by her lawyer was given they will seek Watt's Credits right before her move.
4) Rental value IS greater than existing mortgage. (Rental maybe $3000/mo; Mortgage & Taxes ~$2100/mo) (so fair use is higher than mortgage)
5) I am making the mortgage payments.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">