• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I go back from a Lien?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Desired1h

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was in a car accident two years ago, and it turned out I wasn't covered by the insurance. When the accident happened, I was at fault. The other parties insurance company wrote me a letter. I called back 3 times and left messages on different occassions. I never had ANY response. Two years down the line I get a letter from a lawyer that the insurance company is sueing me. Right away I called for an explanation of the alleged $15,000. The car that I had hit was considered a total loss at $2,200. It was an older model car. However, they are stating that the insured had endured over $10k of medical costs! I never tried to runaway from any responsibility, I am willing to pay for what is just.

I then had someone help me type up a letter to mail the lawyer. All it was stating was that I needed documentation of all the costs, so I can go ahead and take care of it. Once they received that, instead of sending the documents, they ran to court and filed an abstract of judgement, stating they have tried to serve us papers. However, they are sueing myself, and my parents individually since the car is in their name. They told the court that they tried to deliver court papers on two different occassions. I have lived at my house for 15 years and we never received anything, whatsoever! I would have never ignored actual court papers.

I am trying to find help with an advisory, meanwhile I just received a notice of involuntary lien. I am just trying to have the correct process happen. I would like to obtain the paperwork and go through the steps correctly. I am not trying to run away from paying. I just feel like I should have been given the right to stand up for myself, and agree upon a settlement.

Now, what can I do about the lien? Is it too late for anything??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">