• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son hit a parked vehicle...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A1A2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida Hello, My 17 yr. old son hit a parked vehicle in a parking lot, the police were called, damage was less than $500.00, so a change of info was issued, no one was cited , I had a relative show up to the scene of accident, talked to both police and the person with the damaged car, the damage was very minor. I called the person and assured them that I would have the car repaired, did not want to make claim with ins. co. they agreed, after 2 weeks they called with 3 estimates 2 acceptable, 1 very expensive, Iasked when they wanted to get the car repaired, and said I would call the body shop we agree on and when they finished and the car was acceptable, I would pay the shop for repairs, Well the person said that they wanted me to make the check out to them and not the body shop? How to I have proof of repairs? How do keep them from coming back and saying I never repaired the car. If they just want to get paid and not repair the car, do I have any rights? Can I offer a reduced $ amount and have a "Property Damage Release Form" signed? Can they contact my Insurance Company and force me to make a claim? Thanks any help would greatly appreciated.

CourtClerk

They have no obligation to get the car repaired. You owe them for the damage to the vehicle. What they do with the money... is their business, however, I would definitely have them sign a release.

Betty

Agree; as long as you pay for the damage to the vehicle, it doesn't matter
what they do with the payment. (They are owed that money.) Definitely agree that I would get a release signed & dated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">