• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana Possession with Expellment from School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zanthrak

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I'm soon to be charged with a Class B Misdemeanor (possession of Marijuana). The cop has given me the option to rat someone out and he will drop the evidence against me and not make a case, but I don't know of anyone in town to buy from, so this is unlikely to happen.
Before he makes his case, is there anything I should be doing that can be helpful to me?
I've read elsewhere that finding a rated lawyer (AV,BV,CV) can help me with an expungment, which from my understanding drops the case and keeps my record clean. I've also heard of pre-trial diversion, which also keeps my record clean and I may have to serve probation which is fine.
My biggest concern is that I am a college student in pharmacy school, and would like to keep my record clean as there is a risk I might be expelled. I've read in their paperwork that I'm required to tell them of charges against me no later than 5 days after a case it made.
1) Is there any action I should take before a case is made?
2) Who should I contact to help me out with this? Perhaps the previously mentioned AV,BV, or CV lawyer?
3) Thoughts on expungement, pre-trial diversion, or any other options?

This is my first run-in with the law and I'm a bit lost on what to do. I can take any consequence as long as I don't get expelled from school, which is my biggest concern. Thanks for reading.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I'm soon to be charged with a Class B Misdemeanor (possession of Marijuana). The cop has given me the option to rat someone out and he will drop the evidence against me and not make a case, but I don't know of anyone in town to buy from, so this is unlikely to happen.
Before he makes his case, is there anything I should be doing that can be helpful to me?
I've read elsewhere that finding a rated lawyer (AV,BV,CV) can help me with an expungment, which from my understanding drops the case and keeps my record clean. I've also heard of pre-trial diversion, which also keeps my record clean and I may have to serve probation which is fine.
My biggest concern is that I am a college student in pharmacy school, and would like to keep my record clean as there is a risk I might be expelled. I've read in their paperwork that I'm required to tell them of charges against me no later than 5 days after a case it made.
1) Is there any action I should take before a case is made?
2) Who should I contact to help me out with this? Perhaps the previously mentioned AV,BV, or CV lawyer?
3) Thoughts on expungement, pre-trial diversion, or any other options?

This is my first run-in with the law and I'm a bit lost on what to do. I can take any consequence as long as I don't get expelled from school, which is my biggest concern. Thanks for reading.

Do you realize that if you're charged you're obliged to inform the school AND they can expel you no matter what happens afterwards?

Isis1

If you have been formally charge, the officer deal is out the window.

You need an attorney. Seriously.

dave33

I do not know what diversion options you have in your state. If diversion is an option, than you will have to complete the diversion requirments and than request an expungement. That would seem to be a very reasonable option. An attorney can answer several important quest6ions. The school situation is seperate. Maybe you could look into how similar situations get handled at the school.gdlck.

Proserpina

I do not know what diversion options you have in your state. If diversion is an option, than you will have to complete the diversion requirments and than request an expungement. That would seem to be a very reasonable option. An attorney can answer several important quest6ions. The school situation is seperate. Maybe you could look into how similar situations get handled at the school.gdlck.

The OP is in pharmacy school.

He is about to be charged with a drug offense.

Just saying....

Dave1952

It certainly won't hurt your chances to have a highly rated lawyer but you need a lawyer now (or even yesterday). Explain during the initial consultation your needs with regard to your education and planned career. Be sure that he understands that there will be a criminal trial and some school hearings. I'm guessing that the school hearings will occur before the trial so you need an interim school solution that will allow you to take this semester's final exams.
Consider abusing alcohol, tobacco or caffeine from now on.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">