• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer knows of a crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aldaron

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? 57 states [per obama] If a lawyer knows his client is guilty by the client saying so why isnt the lawyer required to report that to the DA? The reason I ask is in other instances from my understanding lawyers cannot stay quiet if they know some thing illegal is going on. Wheres the line drawn at for what they must report or not?.....reason I ask is some other threads seem to touch on this issue. TIA

Mass_Shyster

I was unable to locate the Rules of Professional Conduct for 57 states [per Obama].

Many of the states have adopted the Model Rules of Professional Conduct. Maybe you can read those to answer your question.

swalsh411

How do you know what the client told the lawyer? Were you in the room? If so, why don't you report it to the DA? Is this a homework assignment?

Hypothetical:

Client: I committed XX crime and I'm being investigated for it but they may not have enough evidence
Lawyer: Ok I'll represent you.

(lawyer runs off to the DA to tattle on his client)

No that's not what happens or is what is supposed to happen. Even people who committed a crime are still innocent unless proven guilty and deserve competent representation. If lawyers were required to report any crimes their client committed then that would not be possible.

Last edited:

BOR

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? 57 states [per obama] If a lawyer knows his client is guilty by the client saying so why isnt the lawyer required to report that to the DA? The reason I ask is in other instances from my understanding lawyers cannot stay quiet if they know some thing illegal is going on. Wheres the line drawn at for what they must report or not?.....reason I ask is some other threads seem to touch on this issue. TIA
If they tattle they can be subjct to a lawsuit by you. The only exceptions are crimes in harms way.

You come to me, If I were a lawyer, and say you have a kidnpapped victim buried and they will run out of air in 2 days. I am compelled to report it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">