• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident in a Rental Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curious778

I'm 23, live in NYC, and with my parents at the moment. I was added onto their insurance, I'm not exactly sure in what way, so that I could take one of their cars out occasionally. Two weeks ago I drove to visit some friends, and decided to rent a car as it was fairly far away. I wasn't sure what my insurance coverage actually was, so I had I opted to take the 3 options the rental company presented me, was like $20/day. The car was registered in NJ. I had a fender bender, my fault, with someone in CT. We both agreed to have the police come, took a report, I was cited a ticket for following too closely. Now my questions:

1) The rental company came, picked me up, gave me a new car. Haven't heard a word from them since. Is this normal for a traffic accident? I figured someone would call me about something.

2) What insurance coverage do I have through my parents' insurance company? I figure not much, if any, and strictly to that vehicle they own, not my own rentals.

3) According to the NY DMV site, NYS doesn't record anything except DUIs and something from provinces in Canada. Does this mean I still have a clean driving record if anyone would look that up for a job? (This is both my first ticket and accident in 6 years of driving now) Both in terms of the accident and the ticket. I'm really not sure how you look up someone's driving and/or accident history.

4) Do I have to notify my parents' insurance company about this accident? Or even the ticket? I'm not sure if this qualifies as even filling an insurance claim, that some companies ask, since the rental company isn't an underwriting and insurance company.

ecmst12

You got the insurance from the rental company so that will pay for everything an you have nothing to worry about. Your parents insurance shouldn't even be involved with the claim. You don't have to notify them about anything but most likely they will find out about the accident and it may affect your rates in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">