• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue him for leaving me in this condition?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JamieLC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
My husband of about 3 years just left over a week ago. I'm 6 months pregnant with 3 children and no job or income. He gave me no notice of leaving and I'm having a hard time finding a job being pregnant and having difficulties. I filed for child support and some others but I'm still stuck with ALL of the bills which are about 70% than what he will be paying me. I think this is unfair and I think he should pay for what he did...not a lousy few hundred dollars child support. I'm going to lose my home and everything because of this. He has a full time job and hes also in the military....national guard. Military doesn't seem to want to help me with anything at all. Can I sue him to pay all of the bills until I get a job or this baby is born? I've put in dozens of applications already but nothing! What should I do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
My husband of about 3 years just left over a week ago. I'm 6 months pregnant with 3 children and no job or income. He gave me no notice of leaving and I'm having a hard time finding a job being pregnant and having difficulties. I filed for child support and some others but I'm still stuck with ALL of the bills which are about 70% than what he will be paying me. I think this is unfair and I think he should pay for what he did...not a lousy few hundred dollars child support. I'm going to lose my home and everything because of this. He has a full time job and hes also in the military....national guard. Military doesn't seem to want to help me with anything at all. Can I sue him to pay all of the bills until I get a job or this baby is born? I've put in dozens of applications already but nothing! What should I do?
Yes, absolutely. The lawsuit will have the title of "Divorce"

ecmst12

How many of your children are his?

You should not expect to get much if any spousal support after the divorce is final. You may get some temporary support while it is pending.

vacren

Finally...

Something I can help with. I'm not sure about the civilian side of this, but as an (assumed) active enlisted member he is absolutely and completely responsible for you and any number of children in the household, his or not, until the divorce or separation is initiated.

That said, here is the "guideline" which is used by the Navy. Numbers vary by branch, but are roughly the same across the board.

Spouse only
1/3 gross pay
Spouse and one minor child
1/2 gross pay
Spouse and two or more children
3/5 gross pay
One minor child
1/6 gross pay
Two minor children
1/4 gross pay
Three minor children
1/3 gross pay
His gross is his base pay plus his Basic Allowance for Housing, both can be looked up on google. BAH is based on his duty station zip and base pay is based on his paygrade and time in service.

It is used specifically as a guideline, not an order. If he pays you roughly 1/2 his pay, he is satisfying his moral obligation. The unborn does not count. If it's not his, he can justify not paying YOU anything, but for any child that is his he'll have to pay.

Good luck and please be smarter than mine. She spent a great deal of time callig and harassing my command because I wasn't paying her enough (I lived on base and paid her 90%, lived like a monk for 18 months) and almost got me busted down because of her actions. If he makes less money, so do you. If they take him to Non Judicial Punishment, they can take all but $1/mo from him. 90% of nothing is still nothing.

~V

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">