• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loitering for drug ticket in Ga

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkgivens1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga

In June 2008, I was given a ticket for loitering for drugs. In July 2008, I was sent to rehab, lived in a recovery house for 6 months, and have stayed clean from my addiction to crack/cocaine.

I plead not guilty to this charge in 2009. Since getting the ticket I have stayed clean for 2.5 years, will complete a degree in Social Work this year, maintained a 3.84 GPA and volunteer at a rape crisis center.

I am already on probation in another county for possession charge. I am up for an internship in another county at the DA office drug court. I got a court date for Jan 2011.

My question is... Should I plead mercy to the court. ( I dont' want anything else on my record) and tell the truth about what I was doing at the time, show proof that I have changed my life ( recommendation letters, college transcripts, etc) or try to fight this.

I can't afford the $900 fine.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Fight it ... do discovery ... maybe depose the cop prior to trial. Mercy on the court?--me thinks you watched too many movies. Good luck

mkgivens1

Well your probably right on the tv thing. I just think it looks really bad that shortly after I got the ticket, I was sent to rehab...... 3 weeks later by probation. So denying I had a drug problem is pointless... He didn't find any drugs or para on me... I was leaving a house that was being busted. Just a blast from the past I really don't want to deal with. Ty for your response.

Dave1952

So you were a user/addict at the time the ticket was issued. I"m guessing that you were in a "drug" area. Sounds as if the State has a pretty good case. What's your defense? Got any evidence or witnesses? You plead not guilty why are you thinking about mercy now?
I don't see how this ticket will stop you from getting a degree or an internship. I'm far more concerned about your probation. Does your probation officer know of this impending case? Did this ticket get issued after you started probation?

Good luck

mkgivens1

So you were a user/addict at the time the ticket was issued. I"m guessing that you were in a "drug" area. Sounds as if the State has a pretty good case. What's your defense? Got any evidence or witnesses? You plead not guilty why are you thinking about mercy now?
I don't see how this ticket will stop you from getting a degree or an internship. I'm far more concerned about your probation. Does your probation officer know of this impending case? Did this ticket get issued after you started probation?

Good luck
Yes, I was a user/addict at the time. No, they found no evidence but since I was on probation I got the ticket. (noone else in the vehicle was on probation or got a ticket). I have no defense. I was in a drug house and we left and were pulled over. Since it is a known drug area the police didn't have to have probable cause. I had been on probation for a short time (1 month) and had told my PO i had a drug problem and shortly after the ticket went to her and told her about the ticket and the relapse. I was sent to jail for violation and then sent to rehab. I have been clean since 7/08. So yes, my PO knows about this ticket and wasn't worried at the time. I go to court Jan 2011 and got the ticket 6/08. Part of staying clean is dealing with past mistakes. I wish now I wouldn't have plead not guilty and just been honest with the judge and hoped for leniency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">