• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal vehicle stop/search?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marieo

Three friends & I were at a bar in PA. My boyfriend started my car to let it warm up, leaving it locked & running (as we had done all winter). When we left, a police car with 2 officers was sitting in the parking lot. We got in my car & started to drive. The cops followed my car & pulled me over a short time later. The first action they took was to go to the passenger side door and ask my boyfriend to step out of the car & one officer began to search him. Then, the second officer asked me for ID, etc. & informed me they pulled me over because leaving an unattended car running was against the law & that they had looked inside to see if anyone was in it and observed what looked like Marijuana flakes on the passenger side floor (what they observed was actually pine needles and brown leaves from the trees where I live and did not resemble Marijuana). They proceeded to search all my passengers, me & my car, finding small amounts of Marijuana on two of my passengers. The officer who searched my boyfriend had arrested him in the past for possession & we believe that they targeted him on this basis and that is why we were stopped. I was not cited for leaving my car running but both my friends were charged with possession. Was this search legal? I think they concocted a reason to pull me over because they recognized my boyfriend. Any advice would be appreciated...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">