• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my marriage valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wattodo2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
My husband and I were married in 2001 in Georgia. I have since discovered that he did not divorce his first wife until 2004. Is my marriage valid? He did marry and divorce a second wife before we were married. I was unaware that there was more than one exwife until we had been married several years.

mistoffolees

Your marriage would have been voidable if you had acted quickly. That is, if you had taken action as soon as you found out about the other marriage, you could have possibly had the marriage annulled.

Since so much time has passed, you may have lost the ability to do anything about it. When did you discover that he was still married at the time you married him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">