• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

complaint against City Building Inspector

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blocked

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI
The owner of a rental property next to me has been intentionally violating Municipal Code to harass people in the neighborhood. The person has built fences that are not code and was told ahead of time by the Building Inspector not to. This is recorded in the council meeting min. and and local TV. I have a copy of the DVD. When a complaint was made regarding the violations the Building Inspector decided to allow the violations to remain. Many complaints about the rental have been made by several home owners but no records exist. Many inspections have been done and no records were kept as required by code. When I requested records he finally wrote something about a old fence on my property not being code but said the rental proerty fence was fine(same fence the owner just moved the part on teh rental property -against code). He knows the fence on my property is over 50 years old, installed by the ajoining property, and just surveyed to be on my land. The rental property fence was installed against the terms of the permit this summer. I have documents from the city that show everyone in the area has been replacing this fence making it code, back to 1987. I have over 20 pages of Municipal code that suports my compalint. The proccedures granting variances were not followed so there is no way to file a complaint with the city. How do I file a complaint for not inforcing Municipal code.(The code states he is to inforce code), not keeping records (also code), and retaliation when asked to perform the duties of his job. The rental property owner is known to be dificult to work with and has filled complaints against anyone from the city who opposed her.

Hot Topic

Call the city and find out who the inspector reports to.

When you contact that person by mail, sent registered mail, return receipt requested, provide all details. Don't write that "he knew this" or "he knew that" unless you can prove it by example: on November 15th I (etc., etc.). Here is a copy of his response. Don't claim you were harassed unless you can provide verifiable details.

Last edited:

blocked

I have prof of the harassement -examples 3 families already have restraining orders -criminal charges have been file for 2 homes for distruction of property and tresspassing with one conviction -20 police reports about people being outside in their yards or inside their own homes I know who his boss is it is the city planner and he said it is up to the building inpector to decide to inforce code or not and they all answer to the city council who reponded "it's just a fence we have heard enogh" The 4 homes opposing the permit sent 1 jointly written e-mail and were allowed to speak at a safety meeting and a council meeting. The other person is at city hall or the police station almost every day and send multiple emails to every department with an address. The original opposition was because the applicant stated the intent to violate written propery discriptions of the surounding properties. When told it was not the cities job to determine property lines we asked that the fences be biult to code untill law suites could be filled for the removal. 2 fences have been ordered to be removed by a judge. Others will take more time. The applicant likes to file delays. We do not understand the refusal to enforce the already written code.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">