• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

indiana fta warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timothis76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana....what is a fta warrant, defendant to be held with out bond?

Some Random Guy

it means that since you didn't bother to show up as you agreed, they don't trust that you will show up again. Therefore, they plan on holding you until trial or until your lawyer moves to get a bail hearing and have a bail set.

Whether you will really be held until the trail depends on the type of case, the circumstances of your failure to appear and a lot of other factors. You may want to discuss this with a local lawyer so that you have a plan for turning yourself in and getting the situation resolved quickly without a lot of time inside.

Some Random Guy

That's why you need to talk to a local lawyer. We don't know your courts rules and you haven't told us if this is for a traffic issue like driving without a license or for robbing a series of convenience stores with a shotgun.

I don't know if you just forgot about the court case and the warrant was issued yesterday or if you have been hiding out for years.

Failure to appear is a separate charge in Indiana and it is either a misdemeanor or a felony depending on what case you failed to appear for. Depending on the circumstances, you could be looking at anything from a stern warning not to do it again up to three years in prison.

timothis76

It was a total miss understanding. I missed a pre trial court date for check deception, I applied for a differed prosacution (sp) and I thought that put everything on hold until we heard from the prosacution....but I was wrong. So I didn't realize I had done something wrong.

Some Random Guy

It was a total miss understanding. I missed a pre trial court date for check deception, I applied for a differed prosacution (sp) and I thought that put everything on hold until we heard from the prosacution....but I was wrong. So I didn't realize I had done something wrong.
This sounds like th eperfect situation for getting a lawyer involved to contact the prosecutor, explain the mistake and get it cleared up. You can probably even negotiate the deferred prosecution at the same time. But you need to get on this right away. If you wait for them to arrest you, then you have lost your chance at leniency.

Indiana Filer

This sounds like th eperfect situation for getting a lawyer involved to contact the prosecutor, explain the mistake and get it cleared up. You can probably even negotiate the deferred prosecution at the same time. But you need to get on this right away. If you wait for them to arrest you, then you have lost your chance at leniency.
This would work in my Indiana county.

timothis76

Thanks for all the advice, it worked! I contacted a lawyer and he negotiated and everything worked out and I did have to do any jail time!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">