• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate on parole. Parole officers took my expired license plates. Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan1978

I am in iowa. My roommate is on parole and we are constantly bombarded with P.O.'s shakin us down. I can't afford new registration for my car and therefore had the old plates from my truck on the car I now own. Yes, silly, but a guy has to get to work and back, pick up child, maybe get a grocery or two, yada yada.
After the last visit about 2 months ago, they came with 4 P.O.'s and gave us a real hard time. I don't usually have any problems as I'm not on any kind of supervision. They have never searched my belongings so I have had no real complaint with them. I allowed my friend to stay here because his mom is my landlord and, duh, he's my friend.
This last time, they ran my car plates and seized them and interrogated me about why I had faulty plates, etc. I told them simply that I could not afford them and am merely trying to stay employed. (stupid idea to even speak to them, thinking they would cut me some slack). TWO MONTHS LATER, and the day before Thanksgiving I might add, they have slapped me with fraudulent plate charges, non-registered vehicle, etc. Issued a warrant and brought like 8 cops to my home to arrest me under cross-hairs of stun guns. I'm sure my neighbors love that.

Sorry for the discertation, my question is: Is this a legal search and seizure? I read some things about Parole Officers searching other occupants' things under the guise of "normal" probation supervision duty, avoiding persons 4th amendment rights and such. The drive-way seems to me, private property and what is their "probable cause" to investigate me?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

dan1978

gulp, this doesn't sound promising, yes, they were in my driveway. Which has an alley entrance, not exactly "plain", but accessible nontheless

Last edited:

xylene

I can't afford new registration for my car
:rolleyes:

Utter nonsense.

You are talking about a fee of ~$80 or less I would guesstimate from the DMV formula.

This is your fault and no one else.

dan1978

Utter nonsense.

You are talking about a fee of ~$80 or less I would guesstimate from the DMV formula.

This is your fault and no one else.
well, without getting off course, as you are doing, i owe past fines. and despite the state already garnishing 25% of my $10 per hour for past fines and my child support, and state and federal taxes,which leaves me with exactly $160.25 per week on my check, yes it's my fault im in the predicament with the plates. but despite them getting $400 a month (another mortgage you might say) it isn't enough. They want another $1,459.00 to release me to get current plates.

So, anyway, as you can see, I don't really need another conviction or another set of fines. My question was in regard to my rights as a human being under the 4th amend. not in regards to my current financial situation or what led to this unfortunate (for me) revenue generator for my fine county.

So if you'd like to answer the question as it pertains to my state, please feel free to dispense LEGAL advice. Not LIFE LESSONS.

Last edited by a moderator:

dan1978

If you can't afford to drive, find other transportation.

Um, I'm not sure whose thread you are replying to. I was asking about search and seizure law as it pertains to Iowa via my situation. Giving high-horse remarks is another thread, pal, sport, champ.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Um, I'm not sure whose thread you are replying to. I was asking about search and seizure law as it pertains to Iowa via my situation. Giving high-horse remarks is another thread, pal, sport, champ.
You were told it's legal. You were also told that your excuse of being unable to afford the fines was hogwash. Then you went potty mouth and got reported. But, in your rant, you stated that you couldn't afford the fines, etc., that had accumulated. That is YOUR fault.

If you can't afford to drive, then find alternate transportation.

dan1978

You were told it's legal.
No I wasn't. But if that is your legal understanding, then I accept that. It's the answer I came for.

If you can't afford to drive, then find alternate transportation.
We are past that point, in regards to my current situation. I have flashcards that tell me 1+1=2. But thanks for the arithmetic lesson.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No I wasn't. But if that is your legal understanding, then I accept that. It's the answer I came for.
You're right...
Yes, it's legal for them to do that.

If you can't afford to pay, then find alternate transportation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">