• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jschwa97

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I was charged for possession of marijuana (3 grams) in Indiana where I go to school. My court date is next month. It is my first offense.

I am from Boston, where weed is decriminalized. My question is, what would happen if i would get caught with weed in massachusettes?

What would happen if i got caught from now until my court date and then depending on the sentence, what would happen if i got caught in a state where its decriminalized?

I guess my question is does probation and other penalties carry over from state to state in my case?

Thank you

FlyingRon

Less than an ounce is decriminalized in Massachusetts. If you got caught there you'd pay the fine. Indiana considers it a misdemeanor and you could face the full year and $5000. The first offense can be dealt with a conditional discharge. If you have prior citations in Massachusetts they may not consider you qualified for conditional discharge and getting citations while under the conditional discharge may cause the judgment to be entered.

If you get a conditional discharge in Indiana, I highly recommend you completely abstain from drugs and other criminal behavior at least until the discharge becomes final.

jschwa97

Less than an ounce is decriminalized in Massachusetts. If you got caught there you'd pay the fine. Indiana considers it a misdemeanor and you could face the full year and $5000. The first offense can be dealt with a conditional discharge. If you have prior citations in Massachusetts they may not consider you qualified for conditional discharge and getting citations while under the conditional discharge may cause the judgment to be entered.

If you get a conditional discharge in Indiana, I highly recommend you completely abstain from drugs and other criminal behavior at least until the discharge becomes final.

Thank you for the info.
What does exactly does conditional discharge entail? Will it still go on my criminal record? Is it like a diversion program with online courses, community service, probation, etc?

jschwa97

Ok I have a few more questions.

My court date is for Jan 4, 2011. My lawyer says I will almost definitely be given a preliminary drug test after the final decision on my sentence (most likely conditional discharge). He also said I may or may not receive random drug tests from the court during the one year probation period.

My questions are as follows,

How long after the first hearing will I be given my initial drug test?

What type of test will the court most likely use? (State of Indiana)

What are the chances of receiving random drug tests if I pass the first one? (I will also be in Mass for the last half of probation, will that affect the chances of getting asked to do a random test?)

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">