• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fatfat14

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Just wondering if anyone would have known/experienced the length (time) of contested divorce in NY. It could be any scenarios, mine is purely a house and little cash not over 20000, and it has been a year and half without a trial date (still in the pre-trial phase).

I just want to get an idea on how much longer I would have to suffer on both financially and emotionally... (I know, I know, settling is the quickest and smartest way but I am in a position of that)....

Really appreciate your feedbacks..

Thanks!

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Just wondering if anyone would have known/experienced the length (time) of contested divorce in NY. It could be any scenarios, mine is purely a house and little cash not over 20000, and it has been a year and half without a trial date (still in the pre-trial phase).

I just want to get an idea on how much longer I would have to suffer on both financially and emotionally... (I know, I know, settling is the quickest and smartest way but I am in a position of that)....

Really appreciate your feedbacks..

Thanks!
What is the cause of the delay.

Fatfat14

Well, previous two pre-trials the other side asked for more time to prepare. Had 3 pre-trial conferences already and will have an other one this month...

I honestly not sure, but according my attorney, it seems to be a slow calendar that we are in...

Fatfat14

Oh forgot to mention, plus oppose attorney requested for rescheduling due to conflicting of schedule (emergency appearance elsewhere)...

mistoffolees

Well, previous two pre-trials the other side asked for more time to prepare. Had 3 pre-trial conferences already and will have an other one this month...

I honestly not sure, but according my attorney, it seems to be a slow calendar that we are in...
Well, your attorney would undoubtedly know more about that than anyone here.

Fatfat14

Yes, it is true... sorry for being silly.. I just don't understand why there are so many pre-trials.... and not sure what's the typical length of time in a scenario like mine during a contested trial divorce..

mistoffolees

Yes, it is true... sorry for being silly.. I just don't understand why there are so many pre-trials.... and not sure what's the typical length of time in a scenario like mine during a contested trial divorce..
A year and a half without a trial date is probably a bit longer than average, but not extraordinarily so. Contested divorces can drag out for years.

Generally, it's because one or both parties are more interested in vengeance or greed than fairness.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
A contested divorce generally means that y'all are fighting over stuff. You don't say how much the house is worth, but $20k? Y'all have likely already pissed that away to the lawyers. Equity in the house is next. If you want to walk away with anything - settle.

Fatfat14

House is worth about 480k, we probably can get 100k back... my side been offering and also a 4 way conference, the opposing side pushed the 4 way conference 3 times already (ask for rescheduling)... on my end, lawyer and I definitely being proactive about it...

I just hope that my next pre-trial meet with get us a trial date then everyone would have a pressure the settle it before then...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">